Is it Creosote or creosote substitute?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I know traditional creosote has been banned in Britain since about 2003, but I remember buying a can of wood preserver actually labelled as ‘creosote’ around 2006 in a discount DIY store. I had never used it myself until now. It smells awful quite strong. I know it’s not Creocote as it smells harsher and sharper than that.

Anyway the reason I ask is 4 days ago I foolishly painted the underside of the T&G floor of my brand new shed in the stuff before assembling it, as I wanted to make it as rot proof as possible. I didn’t think the smell would go through the wood into the shed, it totally stinks inside. I had not used it before but I’m concerened that it could be real creosote.

How long will it take to get rid of the smell? I have left the shed door open all day and night hoping it goes away quick. Some of it has soaked through the nails into the topside of the floor and along the edges meaning it’s got inside the shed. Could scrubbing those areas with detergent help or white spirt then varnishing the inside floor?

Sponsored Links
Traditional coal tar creosote is still available, in a minimum quantity of 20l to "professional users".

For a while a product was available called creosote substitute, I think this was banned.

Either way it will do the timber good but the smell will take a few weeks to go. Best thing for it is to let it air, or cover it up with another smell!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back