Is it lead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of Plumbing in a new ktichen for a friend however now he has fitted all of his units it turns out I need to remove a old stopcock that is now redundant however still on his water main. I've looked at the pipe, originally I though it was a pieve of galvanised steel, however on closer inspection it is not that. It looks like it could be lead. The house is 70ish years old I would say. The pipe itself is darkish grey in appearance, is 18mm in diameter (external measurement) and seems to have a very brittle black coating on it which I had to scrape off to get to the pipe itself. Is there anything else it could be, it's definietly not any form of poly. If it is lead what fitting would you use to get onto it? I have managed to use a Johnsons couplin in the past and I need to go onto 22mm copper.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Ben

Sponsored Links
I already have, however the problem is my friend has decided this is where his washing machine need to go, and has built all the units to suit. However the body of the old stop cock won't let the washing machine go far enough back to the wall. So it unfortunately has to come out. Really hoped that wouldn't be the case!

All you need is a Leadlock plumbers,available from any decent plumbers merchants .Goes stright onto lead and you can come off in copper

A relatively simple job for a plumber to sort out really ,just need the right bits.

Sponsored Links
The name of the fitting is a leadloc that you want. I'm sorry, not very good on lead sizes and weights. Think it may be 1/2 inch 7lb. Would check with local plumbers merchants before you go cutting any pipe

This'll start the old timers up. There'll be half a dozen responses about doing lead wiped joints (with their bare hands) when plumbers woz plumbers...

Thanks chaps I though there was a fitting like that however hadn't come across on in the 6 years since I started Plumbing, I'll give it a try.

Careful cutting the pipe because you will have disturbed the natural barrier lining inside the pipe (Patina) Cutting it will leave exposed lead which will invariably be used for wholesome water...

Unfortunately you cant wipe lead joints anymore Rojaca,even though the method is hundred timeds better then a lead lock

Personally if it was my friend i would advise him to have the lead ripped out back to main stop cock and replaced with MDPE ,but if one is on a budget then the Leadlock is a solution for the problem

Personally if it was my friend i would advise him to have the lead ripped out back to main stop cock and replaced with MDPE ,but if one is on a budget then the Leadlock is a solution for the problem

I would support this, after all their drinking water supply is almost certainly coming through lead pipe - at the least tell them to run the tap for a couple of minuted every day before dringing any! I would not want to chance the long term effects.

This'll start the old timers up. There'll be half a dozen responses about doing lead wiped joints (with their bare hands) when plumbers woz plumbers...

never happened they used mole skin ;)

rojaca";p="1441738 said:
This'll start the old timers up. doing lead wiped joints (with their bare hands) quote]Yeah cuz no one wore bleedin rubber gloves and hi-viz vests then :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back