is it legal to tee of the mains before the water meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am trying to find out if is legal to put a tee off the mains before the water meter?

Any help appreciatedy

Sponsored Links
Well if it's in YOUR bit of pipe between the stopcock and the water meter I don't see how it can be illegal. But presumably it would mean you incur further water usage chages! Phone them and ask!

dont know if its illegal but i can see the water board having somethiung to say about it as you could t before and after the meter and totally by pass the meter giving an incorrect reading!

Sponsored Links
As long as you then have another water meter attached to what ever pipe you teed off too.

Water company would then bill you for water use only, adjusting bill not to collect the standing charges, surface water drainage etc. -Just water.

Two meters with one adjusted bill.
You would probably have to pay for the meter and installation charges if Water company thought it unnecessary.

Am trying to find out if is legal to put a tee off the mains before the water meter?

Any help appreciatedy

I assume this thought process originates from my tongue in cheek reply to you last week. Emphasis on tongue in cheek.

Of course it isn't legal - using water by passing meter would be theft.

Thanks ,just wanted clarification on the mater.rather then just a yes/Noo answer

Yeah, I can understand your lack of abillity to know that what you propose is theft... I did something similar by bypassing the checkout at my local Sainsburys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back