Is it OK to plug a washing machine into an extension lead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move my machine but there is no 13amp socket within reach. I do have a 13amp extension lead. Is it ok to do this? The lead is short, about 2metres long, rated at 13 amps. I will ensure there are no loops or bends in it and once positioned, it will not be moved and the machine will be the only appliance plugged into it. The appliance is in the kitchen. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
what does the ratings plate on the machine or instruction booklet say in amps or watts below around 2000w 9amps should be fine
closer to 13 amps it gets the more chance off cheap components suffering
the full load will only happen during heating cycles
so you can try where it is and use the extension and after 10 mins check for smells and heat build up at each end and along the cable

but if the machine is cold fill ( heats teh water with electricity ) then keep an eye out for any discolouration and / or heat being generated where the machine plugs into the extension lead. Not all "13 amp" extension leads have socket contacts able to carry 13 amps ( or even 10 amps ) for prolonged periods.

Sponsored Links
what does the ratings plate on the machine or instruction booklet say in amps or watts below around 2000w 9amps should be fine
closer to 13 amps it gets the more chance off cheap components suffering
the full load will only happen during heating cycles
so you can try where it is and use the extension and after 10 mins check for smells and heat build up at each end and along the cable

Rated at 2800w. I will buy a new lead of good quality rated at 13 amps.

but if the machine is cold fill ( heats teh water with electricity ) then keep an eye out for any discolouration and / or heat being generated where the machine plugs into the extension lead. Not all "13 amp" extension leads have socket contacts able to carry 13 amps ( or even 10 amps ) for prolonged periods.
It is cold feed ony. I will buy a new good quality cable rated at 13 amps.

Only very special washing machines designed for boats will have hot fill today. To get the Efficiency rating all washers are now cold fill. However to get the Efficiency rating they are also low water and even with a large heater it runs for that short of a time there is no real problem using a washing machine on an extension lead. Washer/dryer is another story, but no problems with washing machine.

Why not just put a longer flex on the washing machine?

I don't want to cut out the moulded plug as when a new machine is to be installed, the installer will decline to connect it and I have also heard that some people have had their guarantee deemed void for tampering with their machine even though the failure has nothing to do with putting a new plug on the cable!

I don't want to cut out the moulded plug as when a new machine is to be installed, the installer will decline to connect it
Yes, he very well may - any excuse.

and I have also heard that some people have had their guarantee deemed void for tampering with their machine even though the failure has nothing to do with putting a new plug on the cable!
Old wive's tale.

and I have also heard that some people have had their guarantee deemed void for tampering with their machine even though the failure has nothing to do with putting a new plug on the cable!
Old wive's tale.[/QUOTE]

I would like to avoid any argument with anyone. If you do get some appliance engineer who declines to even touch a machine if any alterations are made by the user, you end up wasting a lot of time arguing your case and end up with a non functioning machine.

Only very special washing machines designed for boats will have hot fill today. To get the Efficiency rating all washers are now cold fill.
I don't see how cold fill is supposed to do anything overall to improve efficiency, and certainly not of the washer taken alone. Either way the water has to be heated somewhere, anyway.

I don't want to cut out the moulded plug as when a new machine is to be installed, the installer will decline to connect it
It just plugs in - what do you need an "installer" for?

I've heard all sorts of nonsense.

I would like to avoid any argument with anyone.
If you behave like a doormat they will walk all over you. Your choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back