Is it OK to put Sulphuric acid down kitchen sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a dishwasher about 2 months ago and have only used it once. The first time water gushed out of the pipes and when I called the emergency plumber he couldn't locate the blockage and recommended I don't use it until a plumber looked for the blockage.
I called the plumber and he tried to locate it but unfortunately its located somewhere behind some kitchen units thus requiring a lot of mess and money to sort out. He did try the plunger and wire but to no avail.

He said the pipes were narrowed and they could not empty a surge of water from the dishwater thus resulting in the water emerging from the pipes.

He suggested pouring half a bottle of sulphuric acid down the sink and leaving it overnight in order to clear out the pipes.

My question is whether doing that is ok or not. I'm worried it might damage the plastic pipes and cause leakage with more problems later on. Or is it safe to use in this instance?
Thanks for your responses!

Sponsored Links
concern for your pipes but none for the environment?

Plumbers' merchants sell Dam Buster, which is 75% sulphuric acid but has additives to protect your pipes and the environment, I'd be inclined to use that. You might struggle to get it if you're a domestic customer though, technically it's trade only

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back