Is it possible to repair a hole in a copper pipe?

Right I realise now that cutting out a small section just where the hole is will be difficult as I can't raise the pipe up enough to get a pipe cutter in there. The hole is right on the joist which is almost 4 inches (100mm) wide so even a 100mm coupler won't do I assume.

Sponsored Links
Right I realise now that cutting out a small section just where the hole is will be difficult as I can't raise the pipe up enough to get a pipe cutter in there. The hole is right on the joist which is almost 4 inches (100mm) wide so even a 100mm coupler won't do I assume.

Just cut out a larger section and then insert a new piece of copper with a repair coupling either side, job done.

Thanks. When cutting the pipe is there a specific length needed according to the coupler? In other words if I buy 2 lots of 75mm couplers and a section of copper pipe what length gap should be left to fit them? Also do pipe cutters have the cutting blade dead centre? (this is to estimate where to cut).

Just cut out a larger section and then insert a new piece of copper with a repair coupling either side, job done.

Thanks. When cutting the pipe is there a specific length needed according to the coupler? In other words if I buy 2 lots of 75mm couplers and a section of copper pipe what length gap should be left to fit them? Also do pipe cutters have the cutting blade dead centre? (this is to estimate where to cut).

Buy the couplers and all will become obvious, cutting wheel also same you can see the blade wheel, but yes it is centre,

Sponsored Links
i did a simular thing and screwed into a hiden pipe in a wall.

I cut the pipe where i screwed it and soldered in a scright connector

59015_l.jpg

repair on the pipe took about 5 mins, repairing the wall however took me a little longer lol

tools required: pipe cutter, blow torch, solder, flux and the stright connector cost about 50p

i did a simular thing and screwed into a hiden pipe in a wall.

I cut the pipe where i screwed it and soldered in a scright connector

59015_l.jpg

repair on the pipe took about 5 mins, repairing the wall however took me a little longer lol

tools required: pipe cutter, blow torch, solder, flux and the stright
connector cost about 50p

If you can find all that for 50p then you can do my shopping in future, also a novice DIY'er with a blow torch, i wouldn't want to be their neighbour

well i had the gas blow torch already as i use it alot for other jobs... ie heating nuts to remove seased nuts on the car etc....

the flux and solder i borrowed from a friend as you only need a small amount... and the connector way 50p from my local store.

i you dont want to use a blow torch then could always use a speed fit connector on the copper....

Straight%20Coupling.jpg

£1.20 ish

http://www.rubberduckbathrooms.co.u...ge=product_info&cPath=168_169&products_id=940

I wouldn't recommend soldering at floor level unless you've got a good quality blow torch. Based on my experience the DIY canister torches I've tried are only any good when the can is upright.

if the leak is already located and the floor is up a plumber can do this in 5 mins they wont charge you much for it

i dont want to sound rude but you seem a complete novice do you really want to cause another leak if you are unsure get someone in who can do it

if the leak is already located and the floor is up a plumber can do this in 5 mins they wont charge you much for it

I am not sure what you class as "not much" but we would charge about £75 if the pipe is dry and it can be soldered.

Its actually a potential pig of a job!

To solder a heating pipe with new couplers the pipe has to be completely dry. Not easy to achieve with horizontal pipes.

If its to be fixed with a slip and normal coupler then a wood working tool will be needed to cut an accommodating space in the board above as this pipe is obviously just below the board.

If the pipe is inside a joist notch and the hole on the top ( only ) and its a heating or water supply pipe then if it was dry then I would do a solder repair to the hole. That would be the £75 solution. Much more and I would be charging more like £115.

Almost all jobs in London take one hour to get there, find parking, find the property, and half an hour to get back! So even a 30 min job takes two hours all in.

Tony

thats pretty much what i meant but paying £75 is better than spending a whole day having more leaks if you dont know what your doing.

i just cant understand why people attempt things that they dont understand i go to many jobs where i get a phone call from a woman very annoyed that her husband has started something that he cant finish and they end up paying more for me to come and fix it.

i dont have a problem with diyers but i think people shouldnt take on something they dont know how to do.

when my pc breaks i call the PC repair man and pay him to do in five mins what would probably take me hours

£75 for a 5 min job and you done all the hard work for the plumber..... id have a go my self first then pay the £75 if i couldn't fix it.... end a day you cant make it any worse really

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back