Is it the motorised valve thats broken?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Central heating stopped.. fuse blown. I disconnected the pump fuse blew, disconnected the motorised valve no blown fuse but obviously no central heaying as pump wont run.

Does this sound like the Motorised valve or have i just disconnected the signal from another source. If it is how can i test what part is broken can you test the motor?

It is a Drayton mid position actuator MA1.

If it is the MV can i just replace the motorised box, that comes off via a button or do i have to unplumb the whole thing? it is blumbed via 2 compresions and one decidedly nasty looking threaded joint.
If i need a new one what is the best one to buy?

Also can i wire it so that i just have CH and HW until i get a new part?

any help would be appreciatted

Iain

Sponsored Links
Water's got into the valve head - possibly via a leaking shaft, which means you need a whole new valve.
Head does come apart, have a look, with it off and the power off.

Options - dry it out (hairdryer)
use system with the head off, mve shaft to where you want it.

If no go,
Disconnect brown wire to valve, if it makes the fuse blow.

Put head back on valve, fix in the "man" position (open to CH and HW), then turn the cylinder stat right UP and the boiler stat right DOWN. The boiler will be on trying to heat the HW, but never making it. Meanwhile the valve will let the boiler water through to heat the rads.

thanks for the advice,
unfortuantelly i have no brown wire i presume because it is a mid position rather tah a 2 way

i have

Blue
Earth
Orange
white
grey

Waht one should i disconnect

Iain

I decided to put on a new valve and i still have the problem, everytime the switch is actuatted from the control panel the fuse blows. The boiler doesnt fire and teh pump doesnt come on

Any ideas.. its cold tonight

IAin

Sponsored Links
You and me both mate, got pretty much the same problem. I've been told it's the motorized valve ( when I had no heating ) but god knows what it is now coz I got no hot water either now.

To find problems like this you need basic electrical knowledge and a test meter and know how to use it.

Very occasionally you might find a visual indication of the fault with careful inspection but the electrical test approach is the normal professional way to find the fault within normal commercial time scales.

Tony

Agile said:
...the electrical test approach is the normal professional way to find the fault within normal commercial time scales.
I can't help but wonder why you post on a DIY site when you keep coming out with sh*t like this. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back