Is it worth changing this consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Talking to a friend the other week and she said she has to have a couple of consumer units changed in some properties she rents out. Had to be done by next year but as she was having a change of both tenants, she was getting it done before new tenants moved in. Something to do with them having to be metal or something. I have a plastic consumer unit that my Bro in law fitted for me about 20-25 years ago. Just wondered if it would be worthwhile changing it now to something more modern and possibly safer. If so, what would you recommend? This is what I have at the moment.
8A7F68EA-C6D1-4B6A-9241-36B1EEC04877.jpeg

Sponsored Links
That consumer unit us perfectly serviceable. There are millions like it. It doesn’t need changing and certainly not just because it has a plastic enclosure. (Your friend is being taken for a ride if she us having to change the CU solely for that reason.

Changing a consumer unit is notifiable work. It’s not a DIY job.
If you decide to change it (you don’t need to) then you’ll need a registered electrician to supply and fit.
As I say, the one you have is fine. It doesn’t meet today’s regulations but it did when it was fitted (16th edition) and regulations are not retrospective.

Yes, give it a bit of a clean and rub out all that writing someone has scribbled over it.
That will make it look nice and new. ;)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That consumer unit us perfectly serviceable. There are millions like it. It doesn’t need changing and certainly not just because it has a plastic enclosure. (Your friend is being taken for a ride if she us having to change the CU solely for that reason.

Changing a consumer unit is notifiable work. It’s not a DIY job.
If you decide to change it (you don’t need to) then you’ll need a registered electrician to supply and fit.
As I say, the one you have is fine. It doesn’t meet today’s regulations but it did when it was fitted (16th edition) and regulations are not retrospective.
It is something that’s coming in next year that applies to landlords only, like a gas safety check that house owners don’t have to have.
I wouldn’t even attempt something like that diy wise! What is it with RCBOs- are they worth it?

One advantage of RCBOs is that you don't loose power to the whole house, if you were on holiday and water got into the garden lights it could knock off your freezer, not foolproof though

Had to be done by next year but as she was having a change of both tenants, she was getting it done before new tenants moved in. Something to do with them having to be metal or something.

She is being conned. Plastic CUs should not be fitted now but there is no requirement to change existing ones.

Regarding the garage circuit it does not seem to be RCD protected at the main CU. Is there a seperate RCD at the garage end protecting the sockets in the garage? If not I would try and add RCD protection to the garage somehow.

What is it with RCBOs- are they worth it?
I changed my consumer unit as the old one had rewirable fuses and no RCD. I decided the extra cost of having all RCBOs was well worth while as a fault on one circuit does not take out half the house.

I changed my consumer unit as the old one had rewirable fuses and no RCD. I decided the extra cost of having all RCBOs was well worth while as a fault on one circuit does not take out half the house.
There is another thread where this is being talked about, I also decided to fit all RCBO so less likely to loose essential circuits, then found the RCBO is type AC not type A, so there is some debate.

Be it plastic CU, not all RCD protected, type AC instead of type A or anything else one needs to assess the risk, so a plastic CU under wooden stairs is a greater risk than same CU in the kitchen. And even under the stairs if there is another escape route it's not as bad as if there is not, and swapping a CU to metal is rather pointless if the DNO stuff is still plastic.

So we need to assess the risk, and the big question is if the electrician is qualified to assess the risk? Building regulations are divided into parts, Part P covers electric, Part B is fire, Part F is ventilation, and there is some over lap, so with an open flue then you have to consider if a tumble drier or kitchen/bathroom fan can draw in fumes. And it may be considered it needs a CO2 detector to guard against this, but the big question is if the electrician is qualified to assess these risks?

So if you get a fire inspection and the guy says you need abc then OK, but the electrician is not trained in fire prevention or ventilation so it is wrong for him to be asked to do that risk assessment.

It is OK to say new CU should be metal, or new RCD should be type A, or new extractor should be heat recovery type, but as to recommending an upgrade if it was OK when fitted why is it not OK now? With some items maybe you can answer that, when the type AC RCD was fitted the house did not have an inverter drive washing machine. OK good reason for change maybe, but I have seen many an EICR done and that is all they have done, which to my mind is silly, if there is a bit of earth sleeving missing the action should be to fit some, not just note on a bit of paper, and if all the terminals in the CU are torqued up, then little chance of fire, looking at the terminals does nothing, they need testing with torque wrench or at least a screwdriver, there is a reason for maintenance free terminals, this is they don't work loose, so clearly if not maintenance free they may work loose over time so need checking, we called the EICR a service, and only major items would need reporting, small items were corrected as we went around.

I would say unless under wooden stairs that CU is no problem. But an EICR is a professional opinion, and the person doing it needs professional indemnity insurance, and to give advice on areas where the person is not trained will likely invalidate the insurance. I do know an electrician who is also a fireman, and is also trained in other aspects of health and safety, but most are not. I personally feel the details of insurance should be on the EICR, but never seen that done.

But we can neither say the guy is right or wrong, it's his professional opinion, all we can say is was he qualified to give that professional opinion?

I agree ericmark. My main reason for wanting the consumer unit changed was a total lack of a RCD, this included outside lights and sockets. I know I could have added one as a separate unit but that would have cut everything in the event of a fault. I reckoned it was far better to have each circuit protected by a RCBO.
You mentioned fire risk, I live in a first floor flat and I have changed the ceiling over the stairs from hardboard which burns well to gyproc which will not burn easily. There is no perfect solution but we do what we can within our budgets.
Maybe I should change the consumer unit to a metal one which would not cost much as the RCBOs would transfer but on the balance of risk I'll not bother, if there is enough heat to set the plastic consumer unit alight I think the burning meter and main 100amp fuse will be the bigger problem.

RCBO's and RCD's can be mixed if some one wants to

consumer-unit-smaller.jpg

Dual RCD and then RCBO's does make much sense to me though. Maybe 1 RCD and some RCBO's if those prove too expensive.

Ours needs updating as still on wylex. Dual RCD can be cheaper than all RCBO's but the difference depends on what makes are fitted. RCBO prices can be a bit crazy. That may be because they are the preferred arrangement. A mix like the above probably increases the install cost a bit. A populated all rcbo cu probably costs twice that of a populated dual rcd cu. When I worked out the cost of cu and rcbo's separately the difference wasn't that great but I spent some time looking for the best price on rcbo's.

Seems the dreaded spark detectors are about now as well but not mandated as far as I am aware. Looks like they may be built into an rcbo, not sure. Then surge protectors but not convinced those are mandated either.

Yeah wylex do AFD units.
Arc Mcb rcd small unit with light.

Surge protectors goes near main switch

There's a lot of discussion about the new (in England) requirement for EICR for rented properties. Apparently the legislation is worded to require that electrical installations must comply with current regulations rather than complying with whatever was current at the time of installation/modification.
So in theory a rental would only pass an EICR today if a metal-clad CU was fitted (and everything else complied with 18th edition).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back