Landlord electrical check and consumer unit replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Can anyone let me know what I should be charged for the above work?
The property is 2-bedroom and in outer London (Sutton).
Thanks, Chris

Sponsored Links
3-500 for the unit - assuming there is no remedial wiring work and 100 quid for the check. Might be able to get them combined to save a bit.

There is no such thing in England as a landlord safety check.

If you want an inspection it is up to you to state how extensive you want it to be.

There is a new requirement coming in 1 July for new rental contracts. (april'21 for existing tenants) I was going to ask for details on here.

All rented places must have an ECR (or something)

However there is confusion. There is no requirement to meet the 18th edition, no requirement for metal CU, no requirement for RCD in flats (not on the ground floor) as examples.

So if they are saying you must have a new CU they are wrong. However they could recommend it and it maybe wise.

If you have a spare hour to kill!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/drRTv9yyArs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It is comical though!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
This https://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/guides/responsibilities/electrical_inspections.shtml states that:

"The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 places a continuous duty on landlords in England to maintain their property to the electrical safety standards and to have evidence of this. This means your property must meet the 18th Edition of the Wiring Regulations and you must have a report that shows this from a qualified person."

It then goes on to contradict that.

Its here - as I found the above to bit a bit confusing in its interpretation.
"“electrical safety standards” means the standards for electrical installations in the eighteenth edition of the Wiring Regulations, published by the Institution of Engineering and Technology and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2018"

However, as far as I can see, they do not go on to contradict that.

I'm not sure they understand statutory periodic tenancies (rolling tenancies).
Nor The Wiring Regulations.

Renewals in this case include statutory periodic tenancies that are created at the end of a fixed term on or after this date.

This bit. Implies the property must be checked at renewal of statutory periodic tenancy. Once an AST expires, it automatically converts to a rolling (usually monthly) tenancy, which renews month to month and required 2 months from the LL and 1 month from the tenancy notice to quit.

The above was backed up in the legislation.

I watched half of the @AndyPRK video and the guy made a very good point, if you need to follow BS6761:2018 to the extent of fitting a RCD and metal consumer unit, then also need to rewire and change wiring colours to brown and blue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back