Landlords Electric Safety Check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I rent out a couple of small properties (one two bed and one three bed house).
One of the properties electric check is nearly five years old so needs doing soon.

Please could somone advise, I understand that the regs have changed since the last check.

Previously, if I recall corectly the electrician checked:-
polarity throughout, earth loop impedance, insulation resistance,consumer unit, signs of overloading anywhere and opened up a few light switches and sockets.

Things have now changed? Is there now a specific test please and if so what is checked? I have been told that the paperwork now costs £60.

I have a fair understanding of electrics as I worked in the ESI all my life..now retired.

Also could sombody point me where to look for this info please

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What you are probably after is a periodic inspection report (PIR).

this will offer include a visual inspection of the installation as well as a test of all circuits,excluding limitations( shouldnt really be any in domestic though).

all relevant tests will be done, IR, loop impedance, continuity and at the end of it all you will get a report on the condition of the installation as well as test results.

you will also get a list of defects (if any) or areas that should be improved. these will be coded 1-4 depending on severity. this can be explained further by the sparky you employ.

any problem areas found are then left up to yourself to arrange to sort out, the sparky who does the PIR may offer you a qoute for the remedial work.

make sure you get a schemed electrician such as a NICEI member and preferably one recommended by friends/ family.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back