Safety check for a rental property.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I know there is no legal requirement for an electrical sefety certificate on rental properties but I have one and would like to have it checked out before my new tenantrs move in just to make sure it's safe for them.

Has anyone here had this done or does anyone do it? I like to know roughly what to expect to pay for such a check. Obviously it will vary for each property a little but mine is a smallish 3 bed detached house in norfolk.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you want a full 'Electrical Installation Condition Report' then the cost will vary with the property size - £150 upwards.

I believe some will tell you none of the accessories is cracked or damaged for £40.

In my opinion they are just being employed by agents as a scapegoat for when something goes wrong and are daft enough to do it.

hi, I know there is no legal requirement for an electrical sefety certificate on rental properties but I have one and would like to have it checked out before my new tenantrs move in just to make sure it's safe for them.
An electrical safety inspection, is required for rental properties to the building regulations in Scotland, elsewhere it's proof that measures are being taken to maintain electrical safety, as a butt guarding exercise.

It is recommended that a viisual condition report costing about £60 for your size of property, is only carried when a recent E.I.C.R. has been carried out. The latter will cost around £210 dependent on the area.

Regards

[quote="Jaymack";p="2680165"
An electrical safety inspection, is required for rental properties to the building regulations in Scotland,[/quote]

Er, I don't think so, where did you read that? (if it even makes sense, which I'm not sure it does, can you clarify?)

As in England, the landlord is responsible for the electrics and electrical appliances they provide. A good way to ensure that (or at least pass the buck) is to have an EICR and PAT carried out.

HMO properties need (among other things) to have a fairly recent satisfactory EICR submitted with each application or renewal.

Individual letting agents may have their own fairytale rules.

to the OP, as others have said, if you want to know about your installation you need a proper EICR

Sponsored Links
Good man!
Maybe no a legal requirement to have an EICR, but as a landlord you have a duty of care and have to prove the installation is safe, by what method is up to you, but tell me of another way, other than an EICR!
Has anyone here had this done or does anyone do it?
Yes, a good few already this year
I like to know roughly what to expect to pay for such a check. Obviously it will vary for each property a little but mine is a smallish 3 bed detached house in norfolk.
It will depend on number of circuits, outside lights, garage, outbuildings etc...
For proper I&T you will be talking £150-200.
This is only a report though, don't expect any remedial work to be done.

Maybe no a legal requirement to have an EICR, but as a landlord you have a duty of care and have to prove the installation is safe, by what method is up to you, but tell me of another way, other than an EICR!
Indeed. Should anything happen and the finger points at you - you can wave the EICR and say "I've done due diligence, the electrics were fine when the property was rented out, here's the evidence". I'd imagine that would be enough to stop the vast majority of "issues" in their tracks.

Even if there weren't such a need for a**e-covering, if the state of the property isn't "known" (such as if you've only recently bought it) then it would be a good idea anyway.

Apart from teh EICR, you should make a practice of looking at the electrics when doing any inspections. It doesn't have to be anything highly technical, just look for any evidence of problems - tampering, too much plugged into a single socket, signs of overheating, broken fittings, etc.
Some of this comes down the "instinct" - some people you just expect to be OK, others you just have a feeling won't respect the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back