Rental Property Electrical Tests (IEE BS 7671 EICR)

Thanks all.
Do feel like I'm over a barrel with this and at the mercy of someone I don't know.
I've dug out the all the paperwork and certs that was generated by the electrician in Feb 2006.
Shows all the readings that were taken and details of work carried out.
Have offered all this to the bloke who's carrying out the tests on Monday and he said the readings will be useful. Said he can compare the old with the new readings.
Said he'd be about 1.5 hours to do the inspection at the 3 bedroom house property and he'll do all the writing up when he gets home.
I'll let you all know how I get on.
Fingers crossed.

Sponsored Links
https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/media/1626/best-practice-guide-4.pdf suggests that the electrical safety council would consider these issues to be C3 at worst and some of them should not be coded at all, but that is just their opinion it is not binding on an individual electrican. An electrian that takes a broad view of "Potentially dangerous" could potentially code some of these issues as C2 and hence deem the installation unsatisfactory.
While these guides are useful, it’s worth remembering that Electrical Safety First (formerly the Electrical Safety Council, or ESC) is a part of NICEIC. An organisation that does have its own view of the regulations.
https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/about-us/our-history/

Thanks all.
Do feel like I'm over a barrel with this and at the mercy of someone I don't know.

as a fellow landlord - don't we all!

however having had one done on the property I let the EICR did find a couple errors caused by a previous tenant.

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Hi All,
Had the EICR done on Monday.
All OK. Just an advisory on the consumer unit being plastic and also advisory on the two lighting circuits not having rcd protection.
Cost of the report was £120.
To get a squeeky clean report and cover my @RSE with the insurance companies, I've decided to pay him to change to metal consumer unit and get the rcd on the lighting circuits sorted. He's charging an extra £275 for that.
All sounds fairly reasonable to me, so quite happy and reassured.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
It sounds far too cheap to me. There is no way you can do anything other than throw the cheapest non compliant piece junk at the wall for that price.

I’ve just quickly priced up a decent quality compliant board for an average sized house from one of the best priced suppliers online, and the materials alone come to more than your entire price.

9BF2C4EA-5288-4890-8F47-8CD2EEFEDDD9.jpeg

It sounds far too cheap to me. There is no way you can do anything other than throw the cheapest non compliant piece junk at the wall for that price.
Certainly very cheap, and possibly 'junk' - but in what sense would you expect whatever he was planning to install to be 'non-compliant'?

Kind Regards, John

Lack of SPD, lack of proper circuit division, underrated and or incorrect type of RCD(s)

Lack of SPD, lack of proper circuit division, underrated and or incorrect type of RCD(s)
Lack of SPD, perhaps (albeit there may well be scope for debate about whether it is actually 'required' in a particular case) but, as for the rest - are you perhaps suggesting that anything other than an all-RCBO CU is 'non-compliant' (and, if so, with what?) - and maybe even also that Type AC RCD's are 'non-compliant'.

If, by any chance, your answers to both those questions are "Yes", then I wonder what roughly proportion of in-service CUs in the UK you think are 'compliant'?

Kind Regards, John

I seem to remember paying around £270 for the bits to do the consumer unit in this house, then found all type AC RCBO's.

The every installation shall be divided into circuits, as necessary, to reduce the possibility of unwanted tripping of RCDs due to excessive protective conductor currents produced by equipment in normal operation has been causing arguments since it replaced a separate circuit shall be provided for each part of the installation which needs to be separately controlled for compliance with the Regulations or otherwise to prevent danger, so that such circuits remain energised in the event of failure of any other circuit of the installation, and due account shall be taken of the consequences of the operation of any single protective device in 2008.

I have never seen how two RCD's could have ever complied, I have also considered two circuits is not enough for most homes, what we want is should anyone do something which causes a shock and trips the RCD then they should not unless actually working on the lighting circuit be plunged into darkness, so sockets and lights in any room should not be on same RCD and with sockets split side to side so even with a RCD failure no need for extension leads on the stairs, and lighting split upper and lower this can't be done.

However the big question is why anyone in rented accommodation should be doing anything which could cause that shock?

However with advisory on the two lighting circuits not having rcd protection, doing anything which would cause loss of lights where before there would be no loss of lights, does require some sort of risk assessment, when back in early 90's I fitted RCD protection at home, I also fitted an emergency light at top of stairs. Loosing light on the stairs I felt was dangerous, however stairs were centre of the house, here stairs have a window at top, still have a plug in rechargeable torch which will auto light with power cut, but not totally dark.

The talk about power supplies where electronics are before the transformer is spikes in supply can kill them so the need for surge protection devices and filtered sockets has been going on for years. The problem is no one can prove a spike caused the failure, but as a home owner even if under ground supply it seemed little enough to pay for the protection, but as to forcing landlords to fit it, not so sure.

Had the whole sale outlet not asked if I wanted one, I may have got a CU without one, but you can buy consumer units for £60 from Screwfix, can't check details their site is down, but to my mind you want to ensure in 5 years time some one doing the inspection will not say who the heck fitted that, it needs changing it does not comply, so type A RCBO with SPD does seem way to go.

... to my mind you want to ensure in 5 years time some one doing the inspection will not say who the heck fitted that, it needs changing it does not comply, so type A RCBO with SPD does seem way to go.
That's obviously one (perfectly reasonable) approach/viewpoint. However, I suspect that many people would just be concerned about "now", and then worry about "in 5 years time" in 5 years time!

Let's face it, the rate at which regs evolve, often introducing new 'requirements' which a good few people are unconvinced are really 'required', that it's far from a foregone conclusion that, even with Type A RCBOs and an SPD, a CU would necessarily 'be compliant' in 5 years time!

Kind Regards, John

While these guides are useful, it’s worth remembering that Electrical Safety First (formerly the Electrical Safety Council, or ESC) is a part of NICEIC.
Actually it's still the Electrical Safety Council. "Electrical Safety First" is simply the name which it campaigns under. It is not part of the NICEIC. It is one of the partners (along with the ECA) in Certsure.

Where can I find the advisory list of C1's/ C2's etc......?

Admittidly folks I thought his price to change the CU and add in the two lighting circuit rcds was pretty cheap.
Had a quick look on screwfix which I know is not the Waitrose of the electrical goods sector but a metal CU was coming out at around £67 and rcds were about £25 each.
So £275 for this including labour doesn't sound that out of line.
I'm not an electrician but if these items from screwfix are BS approved etc and meet the EICR regs, then why would I not choose them?
What extra would I get at buying the more expensive items?
If they are safe and approved and get rid of my EICR C3s, then what is the problem.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back