EICR report questions - very concerned

With the English version there is a link to the actual law ...
As I've said, I have not yet found any evidence that there IS any "Welsh law" to link to.

My searches have not found any such legislation, and if such legislation actually existed, government documents such as the one about "fitness for human habitation" that Murdochcat and myself have mentioned do not link to, nor even name, any such legislation ('law'). As I've said, the only Welsh legislation it does mention (right at the start) appears to say nothing about electrical inspections (unless I'm missing it)
, but the Welsh version has no link, so it is some ones opinion of what the law means, not the law.
The 'Welsh version' of what? As we are agreed, the 'fitness for human habitation' document is not legislation/law.

As things stand, I'm coming progressively closer to thinking that you/we are looking for Welsh legislation ('law') which does not exist - but it would then be difficult to understand the basis of what the 'fitness for human habitation' document is going on about.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
As I've said, I have not yet found any evidence that there IS any "Welsh law" to link to.

My searches have not found any such legislation, and if such legislation actually existed, government documents such as the one about "fitness for human habitation" that Murdochcat and myself have mentioned do not link to, nor even name, any such legislation ('law'). As I've said, the only Welsh legislation it does mention (right at the start) appears to say nothing about electrical inspections (unless I'm missing it)

The 'Welsh version' of what? As we are agreed, the 'fitness for human habitation' document is not legislation/law.

As things stand, I'm coming progressively closer to thinking that you/we are looking for Welsh legislation ('law') which does not exist - but it would then be difficult to understand the basis of what the 'fitness for human habitation' document is going on about.

Kind Regards, John

Are you suggesting that the Labour lead administration has published guidance with out having proper legislation in place?

Surely not

Sponsored Links
Are you suggesting that the Labour lead administration has published guidance with out having proper legislation in place?

Surely not
Come on, that's just the sort of thing they would do, it seems unless there is a sign to say other wise, in built up areas the speed limit is 20 MPH, but we do have signs to say other wise, they say 30 MPH, they can't really take anyone to court for doing 30 when that's what the signs say.

Look out for the man with the red flag!

Is there not a translation into English?
We're not talking about language but,. rather, about an alleged piece of Welsh legislation (which would, if it existed, presumably be available in both English in Welsh) relating to testing of electrical installations in rented accommodation in Wales.

However, as I keep saying, I have yet to find any evidence that such legislation actually exists.

Kind Regards, John

Are you suggesting that the Labour lead administration has published guidance with out having proper legislation in place? .... Surely not
Well, whilst the political flavour of the Welsh administration is obviously not relevant, if you, I and everyone else cannot find any "proper legislation", what other explanation could you offer?

Legislation is never 'hidden', and is usually very easy to find. Furthermore, id such legislation existed, one would expect 'published guidance' to that legislation to make reference to that legislation, wouldn't one? (and it doesn't seem to)

Having said that, the situation in England is not all that much better'. The 2020 legislation is extremely vague about these matters, merely indicating when electrical installations have to be inspected (by someone "competent to undertake the inspection") to confirm compliances with BS7671, to whom copies of the report must be given and how rapidly remedial work must be done. It is only is the associated guidance document for landlords (which is not legislation/law) that there is any detail about the nature of the inspections.

However, if it comes to 'enforcement' I can't see that any court could rule on the basis of 'non-compliance' with things which were not in the actually legislation, even if they existed in 'guidance' documents.

Come on, that's just the sort of thing they would do
They might 'do it' (and might have done it) but something which is not actually required by legislation cannot be enforced in law, no matter what any 'guidance documents might say.
it seems unless there is a sign to say other wise, in built up areas the speed limit is 20 MPH, but we do have signs to say other wise, they say 30 MPH, they can't really take anyone to court for doing 30 when that's what the signs say.
I don't really understand your point, what you are describing being broadly the same as in England. Unless things have changed, here street lights with specified spacing impose a 30 mph limit, but that can (and quite often is) over-ridden by signs indicating a higher (or lower) limit. However, that is all true only because it exists in legislation - if the only mention was in 'guidance documents', it would not be enforceable.

Kind Regards, John

The Renting Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) (Wales) Regulations 2022

Section 91 of the Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016 (anaw 1) (“the Act”) requires a landlord, under a secure contract, a periodic standard contract or a fixed term standard contract made for a term of less than 7 years, to ensure that the dwelling is fit for human habitation, and section 92...
www.legislation.gov.uk
www.legisla
Well found! Goodness knows why it is so well 'hidden', and not referred to in the guidance documents, or anywhere else I've looked.

Ir seems to be very similar (identical in some parts) to the 2020 English legislation, so I wonder why @ericmark finds it more difficult to understand ('less clear') than the English legislation?

Well found! Goodness knows why it is so well 'hidden', and not referred to in the guidance documents, or anywhere else I've looked.

Ir seems to be very similar (identical in some parts) to the 2020 English legislation, so I wonder why @ericmark finds it more difficult to understand ('less clear') than the English legislation?

As far as I’m concerned it’s fairly black and white

As far as I’m concerned it’s fairly black and white
I agree. As I said, it appears very similar to the English legislation. It suffers from the same lack of detail as does the English legislation, which makes both pretty unsatisfactory, and there are issues with some of the definitions in both.

Am I missing some thing, where does it say what is a pass or fail, it says there must be a report, but nothing about what is permitted?
“electrical safety standards” (“safonau diogelwch trydanol”) means the standards for electrical service installations set out in the eighteenth edition of the Wiring Regulations, published by the Institution of Engineering and Technology and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671:2018+A1:2020(2);
But it does not actually say it must comply with the electrical safety standards. Only that it must be tested.

Last edited:
Am I missing some thing, where does it say what is a pass or fail, it says there must be a report, but nothing about what is permitted?
It doesn't, but the same is true of the 2020 English legislation, which you regard as clearer. In the case of England, one only sees anything said about that in the associated 'guidance document' (which is not 'law') and I wonder if such a guidance document may also exist for Wales?
But it does not actually say it must comply with the electrical safety standards. Only that it must be tested.
It seems very odd, and seems to be very much 'watered-down' in comparison with the English legislation (at first sight, seemingly to the extent of being pointless/worthless!!). As you say, it requires only that an electrical inspection must be done and a copy of the report given to the tenant (seemingly regardless of what it says), with no mention of any need for remedial work being required. As far as I can see, on the basis of what these Regulations say, a landlord would be fully compliant if he/she handed the tenant a reports "full of CIs"!

Although these regulations define "electrical safety standards" (in relation to Amendment 2 {2022} of BS7671:2018), I have not yet found any reference to this in the text of the Regulations - so, as you say, there seems to be no requirement to satisfy any "electrical safety standards".

It's also interesting that these Regulations talking throughout about an "electrical condition report", whereas the 'guidance document' we have been looking at talks exclusively about "PIT" (Periodic Inspection and Testing).

Unless I'm missing something, these Regulations for Wales appear to be useless, and (unlike the situation in England) not any potential burden on landlords beyond the need to pay for inspections (regardless of what the reports say) from time to time. However, that seems so daft that I must surely be missing something?

Kind Regards, John

I discovered further problems when I went to visit her this weekend (BTW the property is in Uxbridge). This cable was sticking out of the floor under the breakfast bar - no protection at all. The sheathing is damaged - gouged on one side and sliced in two places on the other side, not surprising considering where it is.

The landlord turned up this morning (Monday) and cable-tied a length of garden hose over it!!

What is the value of an EICR if these things are not picked up?

20230916_092748.jpg
6a23079b-edd2-4ed5-9ab3-85b36dd33381.jpg
20230916_092801.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back