Will this pass an EICR?

Why ? you are being guided to ensure compliance with the law. Put down the regs book and pick up a dictionary :)
There is a difference between (true) 'guidance' and (mandatory) law. You can be prosecuted solely for not complying with 'the letter of the law', but the same is not the case with (true) 'guidance'. However, as has been said, compliance with official 'guidance' (in relation to compliance with the law) represents a strong defence if one is accused of non-compliance with the law.

As I recently wrote, it's fairly analogous to the BS7671/Part P situation. One cannot be prosecuted for non-compliance with BS7671, but one can (at least theoretically) be prosecuted for non-compliance with Part P - and if that latter happens, demonstration of compliance with BS7671 is a strong (albeit not the only possible) defence.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The problem is it is down to the electrician doing the inspection, we have people who state it is OK if it was allowed on a previous copy of the regulations or allowed at the time when it was fitted

The inspector should be using the version of BS7671 in effect on the day the inspection/test is carried out, not the date of installation.

The inspector should be using the version of BS7671 in effect on the day the inspection/test is carried out, not the date of installation.
Indeed, but I suspect that what eric was trying to say was that, if something is not compliant with the current version, whether or not it was compliant with the version at the date of installation might affect how it would be 'coded'.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed, but I suspect that what eric was trying to say was that, if something is not compliant with the current version, whether or not it was compliant with the version at the date of installation might affect how it would be 'coded'.

Kind Regards, John
Yes that is the problem, we are told regulations are not retrospective, so if it was allowed when installed, then it should not attract a coding, however there has to be a limit, if we say previous edition is that BS7671:2001 or the 16th Edition. Huge difference between 1991 and 2001 in what was allowed. In 1991 it was not a British Standard that came in 1992.

When BS7671:2001 came out we were told it was in essence the 17th edition but they were not numbering the editions any more, then the 17th came out. I would consider BS7671:2001 is the demarcation line, and if it does not comply with BS7671:2001 if you think it falls into one of the three codes then code it, if however you feel the thing noted could effect future work, then it should be noted but not coded, so no RCD noted but not coded with a TN installation. However reading the best practice guide it seems that is not the case.

I would not code having a plastic consumer unit, or no RCD on the socket supplying the fridge, however for a socket likely to supply an item used outside, then it should attract a code. As should no earth on lights. When the regulations become BS7671:2018 then it would move to what was allowed in 2008.

C3 is improvement recommended, so an electrician can clearly recommend an improvement even if not required by the regulations. "I think you need two lights in this room." is an improvement recommended, as is would be better to change the consumer unit to all RCD protected. So one could not really say an electrician is wrong giving it a code, however the best practice guide seems to contradict itself. "Items worthy of note, which do not warrant a classification code. (These comments would not appear on the EICR)" How can you note it and it not appear on the EICR? However that's what it says.

I still can not see how one can raise a C2 or C3 coding due to something which is simply plugged in. However best practice guide says you can, to me it may be lethal and one may feel you should cut off the plug, however that is not your job, it is beyond your remit. If there is some thing plugged into a socket which is not to BS1363 I would remove it, bag them and hand them to building manager for disposal, even if there design is fataliy flawed it is not up to me to dispose of them.

Sponsored Links
We test using the standard in force today, not that from 2001. We are NOT told to apply past regs, so a radial with an RCD socket near the back door is not compliant, though it would have been prior to 2008. The requirements for RCD protection have changed over he years and now have no reference to equipment used outdoors.
When we find a non-compliance which is not dangerous, we quote C3 if we believe it needs improvement. If not we don't record a code. The regs do not state how many lights you should have in a room. There is nothing to say you can't advise a customer to fit more lights, but it is not something to put in an EICR.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back