what happens if EICR fail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Electrician came round to do a quote for partial rewire. Basically I need a lot more sockets, new consumer unit and an extra new circuit for ktichen. I was going to leave the lighting circuit as it is but I was told the lighting circuit might be unsafe and advised to have a full rewire or EICR first at least. I am very reluctant to do the lighting circuit mainly because we have concrete ceiling and I really don't want to lose any ceiling height.

I have opened up light fitting plates and switches and I can see cpc behind all the light fittings, but not all the light switches. So my questions is,
1. is there a legal requirement that I must have EICR when adding new circuit?
2. if cable tested ok, can EICR fail for not having a cpc behind the switches?
3. What are my options if EICR fail? is it a legal requirement to replace/update it to current standard?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
1. No, any new circuit would require an electrical installation certificate
2. It would depend on the code designated to the issue. Code 1 and 2 require attention, code 3 does not. If the switch plates were metallic class I, it would be considered unsafe/unsatisfactory.
3. As above for safety reason it required that code 1 and 2s are addressed. But that is up to you, logically you deal with any unsatisfactory and unsafe issues.

Sponsored Links
I am very reluctant to do the lighting circuit mainly because we have concrete ceiling and I really don't want to lose any ceiling height.
Depends on how the existing wiring is installed.
If it's in conduit, then rewiring would be very quick, easy and leave no mess at all.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciate it. It's a relief to know full rewire isn't the only option.

Will C1/C2/C3 code compromise the safety certificate for new circuit/socket installed?

What are other implications for having unsatisfactory codes besides the risk? unable to have insurance?

New circuits won't have any code, as they will be new, and installed to the regulations applicable at the time.
There may be some items which must be fixed before new circuits are installed, but only those which would affect the new circuit.

It's not a requirement to have an EICR or any other kind of report to obtain insurance, but there may be consequences of having a defective installation if a claim were to be made.

Why would a rewire affect the ceiling height, if the wires are in buried conduit, it may actually be a simple task to rewire the lighting via that conduit and possibly less work than the other stuff and fitting the new consumer unit.

Why would a rewire affect the ceiling height, if the wires are in buried conduit, it may actually be a simple task to rewire the lighting via that conduit and possibly less work than the other stuff and fitting the new consumer unit.

I have opened up 2 switches and 1 socket but can’t see any conduit yet, I am hoping perhaps it’s hidden behind the wall so I will have to unscrew the back box before know anything for sure.

If the cable goes out / comes in through the top, bottom or sides of the box, then the conduit isn't going to be 'behind' the box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back