EICR - failure 1.5mm socket circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I am have a failed EICR in a 1980's 2 bed flat- says that wall socket ring circuit ( not light circuit for clarity ) is 1.5mm instead of 2.5mm

Not causing any operational issues for last 40 years...

Is there ANY way that a rewire can be avoided in this situation . ie downgrade the master fuse for this cct ??

Many thanks for any assistance here

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
... I am have a failed EICR in a 1980's 2 bed flat- says that socket ring circuit is 1.5mm instead of 2.5mm .... Not causing any operational issues for last 40 years... Is there ANY way that a rewire can be avoided in this situation . ie downgrade the master fuse for this cct ??
That's rather odd, unless it was just 'a mistake', since, to the best of my knowledge, 1.5 mm² cable has never been allowed for ring circuits.

What size of fuse/breaker is serving this circuit?

I suppose that one could, as you suggest, simply reduce the fuse/breaker for this circuit to a 15A/16A or 20A (depending upon how the cable is installed). That would then be a very unusual circuit, since it would still be physically a ring, but it theoretically should be compliant with regulations - but I don't know whether that would then be enough power for your requirements.

It would probably be possible to split the circuit into two radial (not rings), each protected by a 15A/16A or 20A fuse/breaker (again, depending upon how the cable is installed) - but, without additional hassle, that would require that you have a 'spare' space in your fuse box or consumer unit.

Asa always, you really need to discuss the options with your electrician.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Not in MICC is it?

Otherwise, I suppose its an unlikely but still possible screw up. I have seen a trunking/conduit installation that had sections of 1.5neutral in the ring circuit presumably after someone picked up the wrong drum, should have been noticed during second fixing the fronts, and if not the end to ends certainly gave it away that something were not right!

MICC cable would indeed make it ok, hopefully the op will answer all the questions.

many thanks for all your prompt replies JohnW2 I will try and get answers to your questions and reply back :)
what a great forum of knowledge!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back