Electric heater circuit - outlet converted to socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I own an electric only flat, with two dedicated circuits for the electric panel heaters. Years a go I swapped out the hard wired panel heater in the hallway for a single socket, which I use for a lamp.

I'm now about to rent out the flat, and EICR is booked tomorrow. What should I do with this converted outlet? I don't want to fail the EICR, which I'm sure this will as it's dangerous unless you know about it. Should I put a blank in place of that socket, or put a label stating that it's on the heating circuit?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Just label the consumer unit appropriately.

After all, it won't be a heating circuit if it only has a socket on it, will it?

Just label the consumer unit appropriately.

After all, it won't be a heating circuit if it only has a socket on it, will it?

Thats the problem, this circuit has two bedroom electric heater on it + socket in hallway for a lamp (which used to be the hallway heater). Not sure if this is allowed according to regs, or I can just label the consumer unit and the socket and I'm good.

It is not dangerous. But if it is on a timer it might be confusing. In which case label the socket "timed night heating circuit" and take the lamp away.

In most cases, all the sockets on one floor of a house are on the same circuit, and by isolating it, you can safely work on any of them.

My house has one first-floor socket on the ground-floor circuit. I don't know why. I labelled it for safety after an incident while decorating, which luckily tripped the RCD.

Sponsored Links
In most cases, all the sockets on one floor of a house are on the same circuit
There was a time when RCD's were first fitted until we went to RCBO's when we did split homes upper and lower, however before and after that time if split it was better to split side to side, as:-
1) Used less cable so better loop impedance and volt drop figures.
2) If one circuit failed no temptation to run temporary extension leads up/down stairs.
3) Better power use split.
It is common to have some odd socket some where which does not follow what is expected, I have two double sockets and a FCU which are not supplied through the main consumer unit, but from the solar panel/battery inverter so will stay live even with a power cut. The sockets are marked EPS but I would have called it a UPS, so there is a problem when using initials, but as to if that is a potential danger, not sure, I assume not as I have a compliance certificate for them raised last year.

So writing on the socket with felt pen OP may be considered enough, but in industry it is common to see "DB4 5" on a socket outlet which translates to distribution unit 4, 5th MCB down, but this is rare with domestic. Be it a 13 amp socket in the loft from lighting circuit to run the TV pre-amp, or storage heater outlets, it is rare to find any labels.

What is more likely to cause a problem is lack of RCD protection for the storage heater circuits. My central heating is the only thing in the house not RCD protected, again have a compliance certificate from last year saying it complies, but if that FCU was swapped for a plug and socket then it would not comply due to lack of RCD protection.

As to if an inspector would say that was potentially dangerous not a clue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back