installing panel heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've replaced a storage heater in my flat with a panel heater, and wanted to add another which will be on the ring circuit. Will two 1.5kw heaters overload it or will it be ok to just use an existing socket (if i put in a switched fused spur).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
What else is on that socket circuit? Kitchen? Washer? Dryer?

A ring circuit will typically be protected by a 30 or 32amp device, meaning there is 30 or 32 amps available.

1.5kw (1500watt) is 6.52amp (1500 devided by 230).

The regulations do state that comprehensive space heating systems are to be installed on their own circuits.

there are three ring circuits, including one for night storage, but I'm not sure what specifically is on the other two, if it was on the same one as the kitchen it would include a couple of appliances and a washer.

the other panel heater i have in at the moment is wired into the fused spur that was alongside the original night storage circuit (and that provided the day input)

Sponsored Links
Your storage heaters will not be on a ring.

The convector/day supply of the storage rads will likely be a few small radial circuits seperate from the sockets (a bodging spark may have spurred from the ring for them).

You need to ensure you do not exceed the circuits rating (if a radial it is likely to be 15/16/20 amp - look in the consumer unit). Treat items like washers, dryers and kettles as 13amp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back