spur for storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment i have a ring circuit, and am supplied with a single electricity rate. i want to add new sockets for storage heaters.
Could anyone tell me whether it is possible to add a spur onto an existing ring circuit to power a storage heater, or do i need to run a whole circuit for them?

(Of course, once I've installed the heaters, I intend to call up the electricity company to install a two rate meter!)

Sponsored Links
aepe said:
At the moment i have a ring circuit, and am supplied with a single electricity rate. i want to add new sockets for storage heaters.
You might well want to, but many (most??) NSHs are too big a load to be plugged in.

Could anyone tell me whether it is possible to add a spur onto an existing ring circuit to power a storage heater,
Possible? Maybe. Advisable? No.

or do i need to run a whole circuit for them?
Yes.

(Of course, once I've installed the heaters, I intend to call up the electricity company to install a two rate meter!)
AAF. You should work out the costs of this first, and the costs of NSHs, and work out how long it will be before you start to save money..

Also, have you ever had NSHs? Do you like them?

aepe said:
Could anyone tell me whether it is possible to add a spur onto an existing ring circuit to power a storage heater, or do i need to run a whole circuit for them?

Leaving aside that some NSHs take more than 13A and can't run from sockets if so...

The usual arrangement is that the ElCo's timeswitch that controls the meter-rate also supplies the NSHs, so you run a dedicated circuit from there and you know that they can only use "cheap" electricity. If you wire from a ring or whatever, you'll need to supply your own timeswitch (or one for each heater) and make sure it/they are synchronised with the ElCo's one, otherwise you may be using expensive electricity at one end of the night and blow any savings you might have made.

ElCos' timeswitches aren't necessarily that accurate, by the way - mine is currently an hour and a quarter fast. (Funnily enough, in the summer it's only a quarter of an hour fast! :) )

Cheers,

Howard

Sponsored Links
iirc with teleswitches as long as they give you the correct number of hours per day they can give you them at any time of day they like.

which gives them another tool to help them keep the grid balanced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back