small storage heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Sorry if this has been listed before, but I'm looking for advice on a small storage heater.
I'm a pensioner and last year I had storage heaters fitted by a qualified electrician, onto their own circuit. All my night time electricity is cheap rate.
My problem is that my livingroom is not warm enough when the weather is very cold. Could someone tell me if it is safe to have an extra 0.85kw storage heater just plugged into a socket, which I could switch on in Dec./Jan./Feb. Alternatively, I could move an existing storage heater from a room that I do not use, but it would need much longer wiring.
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Hello
Thanks for your reply. I have not bought a 0.85kw one yet, but I think I would need it on full. I'm just checking what is the best thing to do. I am at home most days, so switching it on and off is not a problem.

Storage heaters are wired to a special circuit that only comes on during the cheap rate period overnight which is when they heat up. Then they release the stored heat during the day. It takes them a while to charge up and if you did buy one and just plug it in, it would start to store up heat straight away (ie not at the cheap rate) Whilst they are charging the output shuts down as low as possible (because normally it would be night time) so that most of the heat remains inside. This won't help your need for instant extra heat.

Most people add either an electric fire, or panel radiator that is used just to provide a top up whenever it's needed. That could just be plugged in.

One of the problems with storage heaters, is storing the correct amount of heat during the night to correspond to the weather the following day. With a separate heater it can be used just to provide that extra top up that the storage heater can't manage when needed. It would also be useful in the autumn when the evenings get a bit chilly, you want heat, but either missed the overnight charge because the day before was warm, or don't need full heating just a bit of heat to take the chill off in the evening.

Get one with a thermostat and it will hold the room at a comfortable temperature and only come on when necessary.

New electric fires and stoves, have flame effects that are cheery too and are a lot more realistic than they used to be.

Sponsored Links
The chances are that the existing socket (I am assuming it is an existing socket) you plan to plug the small storage heater into will not be on the off-peak circuit so the new storage heater will charge during the day at the standard tariff.

You may be better off just buying a good quality (safe) 1KW free standing heater with a built in timer.

Are you certain that your existing storage heaters are correctly set? (which takes just a few minutes)
You may want to ask your electrician if he/she would be willing to simply check them as a courtesy. This is something I would do free of charge for my customers assuming I had fitted the heaters recently within the past year or two. I would certainly do it free of charge for anyone who is dependant upon their pension.

Ideal for use in and around the home and small office. Two heat settings plus fan. Adjustable room thermostat with internal carry handle. Vertical or horizontal standing. 1kW and 2kW outputs. Fitted with BS approved plug and cable. Weight: 1.39 Kg

_78322_145564.jpg

Thanks very much for your helpful posts.
All my night time electric is cheap rate, but it would mean staying up till the extra storage heater starts, or putting it on a timer. Having a day time heater is much more expensive for the electricity - about three times the cost.
I do like the storage heaters I have. My concern was about the safety of a plugged in one. Perhaps the best thing is to get the electrician back (he was really helpful) and add a small storage heater, properly fitted.
Thanks once again.
Bsm20

I do like the storage heaters I have. My concern was about the safety of a plugged in one. Perhaps the best thing is to get the electrician back (he was really helpful) and add a small storage heater, properly fitted.

Storage heaters are also incredibly heavy and need to be firmly fixed to the wall.

Some form of top-up heat is usually required in the lounge anyway as the stored heat runs out by mid evening.

Having a day time heater is much more expensive for the electricity - about three times the cost.
Assuming you only need a degree or so top up, it shouldn't really be too expensive, as the storage heater would be still doing the lions share of the work.

Also a storage heater will cost several times the cost a panel heater to buy in the first place, plus there's the installation cost on top.

Add another storage heater and you could find that your lounge is over heated, so whilst the energy maybe cheaper you could easily be paying for energy you don't want and wasting the two thirds you hoped to save. A separate heater is so much more controllable, it can be switched off altogether when you're out, doing the housework, or when the weather is milder.

At the end of the day the choice is yours, you have to live with it. You know best your life style and the amount of heat you feel your room is lacking.

Before getting extra heaters of any kind, do you have the full amount if insulation in the walls/loft?
If not, get this fitted first. As you are a pensioner, you can probably get it installed for free.

Agree about the insulation.

I don't see why another (0.85kw) storage heater couldn't be added using a dual box with FCU & timer from a ring or 32A power circuit.

May be prudent to use a storage heater which does not 'overcharge' if left on

Does the last comment mean that I can somehow connect a second storage heater to the existing wiring of the first one, which has been properly fitted? Can you have a double switch for example?
I'm no expert on this, so thanks once again for the advice. And I do take your points about an instant room heater that gives far more control, as being a good idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back