Fused connection unit = fused spur

A bit like

fuse box = a consumer unit

Bulb = lamp

Transformer = aaarggghhhhhh…….
Live = line

Earth = cpc

Low voltage = Extra Low Voltage

Nominal = I have no idea, I have never seen that sequence of letters before, and I will refuse to listen to any explanation of it, no matter how often you try.

Fused connection unit = fused spur

A bit like

fuse box = a consumer unit

Bulb = lamp

Transformer = aaarggghhhhhh…….

Any pictures (= snaps = images) yet?

I had similar problems sorting my broadband years ago.

RJ45 cable
Straight through cable
Network cable
Ethernet cable

All the same thing.

Sponsored Links
RJ45 cable
Straight through cable
Network cable
Ethernet cable

More a lack of the terminology, perhaps?

RJ45 is a connector, not a cable

Straight through cable. Hmm, is there another sort without a connector in its length?

Network cable. Useless without a qualifying additional work. Lots of those, could be a power network cable, carrying many thousands of volts, or a telephone network canle carrying 50volts, or hundreds of others.

Ethernet cable, a narrower band of possibilities common options are CAT 5, 5E, 6, 6A…….

Anyway. Do you now have all of the answers you need relating to you initial query?

Straight through cable. Hmm, is there another sort without a connector in its length?
In networking terms yes. A crossover cable is the opposite of a straight through. It has the orange and green pairs transposed at either end. Used to be used to connect two devices directly before computers got smart enough to not need it.

RJ45 is a connector, not a cable
RJ45 is actually a combination definition of a specific type of connector, and the way in which it is wired for a specific purpose (just like all the other RJ designations). And despite the losing battle we seem to be facing with misuse of the term (even from some big manufacturers who should know better), RJ45 has absolutely nothing to do with twisted-pair Ethernet anyway.

Ethernet cable, a narrower band of possibilities common options are CAT 5, 5E, 6, 6A…….
And still some coaxial cable systems in use, which are also Ethernet.

Do you now have all of the answers you need relating to you initial query?

I get that what I'm proposing to do is not considered good practice. But assuming that I do go ahead with my plan and things do go wrong, what would happen? The timer/socket would fuse?

Other than making sure my heater doesn't exceed the 2kw load are there any other relatively cheap safety measures that I could put in place?

Unless you connect the storage heater to the off peak consumer unit, there is no point in having one. Their only advantage is that they use the cheaper rate electricity.

If on the normal rate, then any electric heater could be used to provide heat when required, which will be far cheaper and easier to install than a storage heater.
Some have a timer built in if you want that function, so it's just a matter of buying one and plugging in. Optionally fixing it to the wall.

A storage heater in a conservatory is a total fail anyway, as the colossal heat losses from a conservatory will result in the stored heat being depleted very quickly.

But as I understand the storage heater consumer unit is connected to the same electricity meter. It's essentially nothing more than a timer for all the storage heaters.

Surely if I use a timer and set the operational hours to those corresponding to the off peak economy 7 hours I can take advantage of the cheaper tariffs?

My immersion heater and washing machine are not connected to the storage heater consumer unit but they still benefit from cheaper off peak electricity because they only run at night.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick here or something?

Some installations have separate meters for day and night units. Others use a single meter that switches the rate at set times, or when signalled to do so by a teleswitch.

Forty eight hours ago -

"... Does your house have a separate economy 7 fuse board to which the storage radiators are connected? If the answer is yes, then if you get a new storage radiator, it will need to be wired on its own, separate circuit to that fuse board. The supply to that fuse board will already have a timer associated with it so you do not need to buy another one!

If your house does not have a separate economy 7 fuse board to which the existing storage radiators are connected then we need a photo of the meter and the fuseboard and the associated cables (the big chunky ones). Then we may be able to give different advice.

Over to you to clarify please."
unquote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back