Replacement E7 storage heater for a dual feed storage heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I need to replace an old Dimplex storage heater, which has a single economy 7 feed. I noticed that the more modern ones have two feeds, so one for E7 and one for daytime tariff. To the best of my knowledge, the rental flat only has the single E7 flex coming out of the wall.

Is it possible to use the existing E7 flex and plug the daytime tariff feed into a nearby 3pin plug socket?

Sponsored Links
First of all are you the tenant or the landlord?

Yes you can do as you suggest

The newer heaters are quite capable of working on a single 24hr supply which switches to the cheaper rate. This would require altering the connexions in thew consumer unit(s)

Hello, yes I'm the landlord. Nice to know, thanks.

The consumer unit was switched out a few years back, so hopefully it's capable.

E7 is a tariff not a system, the system to use E7 has changed over the years, the white meter is long gone. I know it use to use a time signal from radio 4, but I think that is ending, but to jump in and give advice can cause problems when one is not sure how the system you have works.

Sponsored Links
E7 is a tariff not a system, the system to use E7 has changed over the years, the white meter is long gone.
Yes indeed.
but to jump in and give advice can cause problems when one is not sure how the system you have works.
I read OP again before answering, I felt OP had a grasp of their system and answered accordingly.

But yes thanks for the sanity check, it is extremely easy to jump in too quickly, one poster fairly recently departed from these mortal pages was very good at that.

I will admit all the homes I have worked on had gas or oil heating, the storage heater we did in collage, and also had one at work to test the bricks with, I was involved in making concrete bonded rather than clay bonded bricks, although 80% of the mixture was iron ore.

It seems we had a dedicated supply to start with using a white meter, but it mean you could not also do ones washing at cheap rate, so latter versions had trigger wires to turn them on, but also simple time clocks have been used, and the one I had to run tests with had no internal timing other than a simple clock manually set to the correct time.

The council flats had a central heat store with fans to distribute the heat when required, they could with fans off keep hot for a week, the water storage was similar, so one could actually control the room temperature, allowing the room to cool over night and get the main part of energy stored in the evening.

However I have only seen the water store used with multi-fuel, with solar panels the power stations are not getting the same demand graphs, and I know France has used maximum demand current as part of their pricing structure for domestic, we only have that for commercial.

It seems E7 can still be got in Scotland, but rest of country you can keep it if you already have it, but you can't move to it.

The smart meter was it seems designed so we could have flexible tariffs, but the grid tie inverter and storage battery means today many people only use power over night anyway. We are adjusting our life style to suit the supply type, however not seen people working night shift, so they can use zero power in their homes over night. But the work from home has resulted in a lot of re-thinking as to how to heat a home used 24/7.

What's wrong with the old one?
Most can be repaired for a fraction of the cost of a new heater.
It doesn't work anymore. Think a previous tenant killed it, no doubt by covering the vents and tripping the thermal switch. I had a look but couldn't see anyway of resetting it.

A common problem.
May be just a case of resetting the thermal cutout.
or worst, it's a new thermostat assembly and an hour to install it, so around £100-£200.

It doesn't work anymore. Think a previous tenant killed it, no doubt by covering the vents and tripping the thermal switch. I had a look but couldn't see anyway of resetting it.
A common problem.
May be just a case of resetting the thermal cutout.
or worst, it's a new thermostat assembly and an hour to install it, so around £100-£200.
Indeed This is something that happened in my property, the heaters were showing signs of rust and all thermal cut outs tripped when my tenant moved out. Resetting cut outs was very simple on those models.

Ultimately I replaced the main NSH with HHR version (Both with dual supply), 3.3KW instead of 3.6KW but my tenant reckons far More effective and plenty of heat left in evening, oh and improvement on my EPC rating too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back