EICR fail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went for a cheapo EICR and I got a C2 code for an en suit shower room light. The assessor company being rather aggressive with the push for remedial work, I decided I don't want them to do the work, unless they are cheaper than others by a lot. I understand a C2 code requires remedy within 30 days. These are the options I am considering:

1. Do the remedial work myself, and get a new EICR from another assessor
2. Show another assessor my failed EICR and get him to do the remedial work, and the work will then be certified by him.

Option 1 will likely to be cheaper and more satisfactory to me because the complication is that a random person unfamiliar with the property would be drilling big holes in the ceiling without a care resulting in a compromised inter-property partition. Ultimately, I would be responsible for the damage. If I do the work myself, the damage would be avoided.

My questions are:

Does the 30 day remedial requirement begin from the day of assessment, or the day I receive a formal EICR? After a week of delay, the assessor finally sent me an EICR with big "DRAFT" watermarks on it. Does the 30 day begin with the draft?

Are there any rules that say the original EICR assessor must do the remedial work, or that any remedial work must be assessed and certified by the original assessor? They have already stated they could not certify work of anyone but their own electricians.

Is there any issues if I just throw away the failed EICR and get a new one done within 30 days of whatever is the valid starting date of the remedy requirement?

I understand there is no requirement for a non-rented property to have an EICR? Now that there is a fail, does the EICR with a pass then becomes mandatory for the property?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am a lessee and own a share of the free hold. The property is unoccupied and never rented out.

Sponsored Links
PHEW, thanks a big bunch! Now, I see what the house builder did there. They basically laid a mine that had a high probability of going off. I dodged it by a whisker.

After a week of delay, the assessor finally sent me an EICR with big "DRAFT" watermarks on it. Does the 30 day begin with the draft?

Putting aside the fact that this ins't private rented accomodation and therefore the requirements of that don't apply, then as far as I see it, if he has only issued you with a draft EICR then the job hasn't been concluded and therefore he can't expect you to pay for it.

If this is pulling up the issue with the batten lamp holder in the bathroom, then you can maybe remind him the above as well as advise him that he should ensure that any observations he makes are accurate and can be backed up by actual regs, as you have been informed that the bathroom light is not actually likely to be non compliant (assuming its an 8 foot ceiling, and its not directly above the shower cubicle or anything equally daft)

Now somtimes EICRs get sent as draft initially at the request of the client, who wants us to address the issues before issuing (but that is not something that we would do by default), and maybe he thought thats what you wanted, or maybe he was just trying to ensure he got the remedial works.

(If it was rental, the time starts from the date stated on the EICR which would typically be on the date the chap came to site, but until properly issued it doesn't really exist at all - if someone was to sit on them for 28 days and then issue them with the date they were done on, that would be a very much of a d*** move!)

I haven't paid yet. They issued me with a "job report" for the required remedial work. They didn't send me the draft until I chased them today, a week after the inspection. After getting the draft, I asked for the final document. They haven't responded. I suspect they intend to wait close to 28 days before giving me the final document, which will limit my options in case of my needing the EICR. But, my need isn't constrained by time.

I believe the light is a fail, and deliberately made so by the house builder. The center of the light is 60cm from the shower cubical. It's reasonable to argue the entire light must be 60cm from the cubicle. Also the bottom of the bulb is less than 225cm from the floor. The ceiling is 235cm from the floor. The bulb along with the holder is more than 10cm tall.

Last edited:
Ha, and I thought I was picky!, half the lamp, but none of the batten holder slightly infringes on zone 2, I'm not surer many would deem it a C2, C3 at most if they bothered to measure its exact location and find it was not completly out of zones.

Afaik, the reason the top boundry is 2.25m is to give 150mm or 6" off a standard 8' / 2.4m ceiling in order to permit batten lamp holders in bathrooms, which were still pretty standard spec when the zones came in. Before then it was just that fittings shouldn't be able to be touched by people using the bath or shower when standing on a surface normally intended to be occupied by persons (i.e. standing on the rim of the bath doesn't count!) and I still regard that as a sanity test, and probably makes a good rule on what deserves a C2 and what does not in terms of stuff in zone 2 that shouldn't be

Ah well...I suppose a batten lamp holder is not the prettiest looking thing in the world and you might not be too worried about having to get rid of it.

Seems to be a favourite, bathroom lights. Got a fail for not ipx4 or whatever, bought a replacement, took the old one down and inside there was a sticker claiming the correct IP rating.
As far as rectification is concerned, no there is no requirement that only the tester may do any works required. 'they won't certify anyone else's work' is bullsh*t, an EICR is literally testing an installation blind.
That is a very pedantic reading of the zones but I suppose it is a valid view.
Take some 'before' pics, get an LED bulkhead fitting (they're only about 30mm deep), put it up, take some 'after' pics, attach to EICR, done.

The assessor didn't measure anything and called it a fail. He further said if I DIYed it, they would come out to have a look and that would be it. The people in their office decided to do all the "extras". My belief on the half lamp fail is just my own view. It wasn't the assessor's view. His view was simply that it needed to be IPX4. The fail/pass boundary was designed to pass the house builder but to fail the house buyer. In other words, it could be interpreted both ways.

For my purpose, I just needed a pre-warning of a fail, which I got and cheap enough. So paying for a second EICR is not a problem.

Since they are reluctant to give me the final report, it's entirely possible they are worried about being caught by a government inspector in disguise for incorrectly making assessments.

For my purpose, I just needed a pre-warning of a fail, which I got and cheap enough. So paying for a second EICR is not a problem.
Given that it is not (at least currently) not a rental property, I wonder what your reason is for wanting an EICR, let alone two of them - are you perhaps contemplating future renting out of the property?

Kind Regards, John

Future sale, future rent are options. The key point is that I am not currently constrained by the rules of EICR, while the assessor's people suspect I am, and so they play. Their behavior means I want nothing to do with them. The reason I an cautious of self-certifying a DIY job is that potential buyers might not understand the intricacies and you can't really blame them.

Last edited:
Future sale, future rent are options. The key point is that I am not currently constrained by the rules of EICR, while the assessor's people suspect I am, and so they play. Their behavior means I want nothing to do with them.
As you say, you have fallen foul of iffy people, and are therefore definitely best without them!

Despite what some people seem to think, "future sale" does not require an EICR - if a propsective buyer wants an EICR, it is for them to arrange it (and pay for it)! However, given the relatively new legislation, as you presumably know, renting would require an EICR with no C1s or C2s.

Kind Regards, John

An estate agent would insist on an EICR. So, it is not optional. Selling privately is possible without an EICR. It's better to have one than not, to save on hold ups.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back