Rental Property Requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone please offer some advice/guidance on what the legal requirements are for a landlord when it comes to electrical certification? I ask as my mum is just coming to the end of having a refurb done on a house she intends to rent out. The property was renovated about 6 years ago under a council grant when it was rewired and night storage was installed. This is all still in place but my mum has had sparks in to add electric water heaters, add a couple of extra sockets and wire up a new shower room (showers/lights/extractor etc).

The final fix is still to take place but what should she expect to get from the sparks and what does she need as a new landlord? Is a PIR enough or should she have some other documentation to underwrite the install?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Sponsored Links
The final fix is still to take place but what should she expect to get from the sparks and what does she need as a new landlord? Is a PIR enough or should she have some other documentation to underwrite the install?
That she is planning to let the place is irrelevant as far as that question is concerned.

She should get an EIC, not a PIR (assuming the electrician is complying with the Wiring Regulations), and as the work is notifiable she must get a Building Regulations completion certificate.

Sponsored Links
Unlike gas, there is no legal requirement for landlords and their property other than to ensure that the electrical installation in the property is safe.
This can be achieved by a PIR and/or EIC if the whole installation has been checked/refitted.
As stated, on completion of the work being done now, your mum should receive and Electrical Installation Certificate, A Schedule of Inspections and A Schedule of Test Results. In due course she should receive a BR completion certificate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back