tennant getting shocks ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What to do?

I spoke to a letting agent yesterday. She explained to me about a property they manage. The old lady has recieved shocks from the living room lighting circuit, she now operates the switch with a wooden pole :eek: .

The letting agent has had 2 sparks out and both have recommended a rewire. I didn't see any PIRs so I cannot be too critical.

The letting agent explained that she wanted them to condemn the electrical system to force the landlord to make it good, but because it is a regulated tenancy he was unwilling to spend money on it. The Sparks made a few recommendations and one was a rewire.

And the situation is the same now, this lady is still at real risk of getting electricuted and the letting agent, as I explained to them, is still at a very real risk of getting sued.

So my question is this, can you condemn the system and get it turned off as a GAS SAFE tech can ?

And what would you do in this situation ?

Sponsored Links
I don't believe there is an equivalent formal condemnation - I suspect your options are:

- Convince the tenant to being legal proceedings against the letting agent / landlord for not ensuring the electrics are safe (if it's an elderly lady though you may have trouble getting her to do that).
- Speak to the DNO, and see if they can do anything about it (I suspect not though unfortunately)
- Try and speak to the council, see if there's anything they can do

An (unfortunately probably illegal) alternative would be to remove the cut-out fuse, and keep it. This would require the DNO to come in to re-energise the system, who hopefully would take one look at it (if it's as bad as you suggest), and refuse to energise it. It does have the risk though that either the landlord might come in and try and bodge it with something, or you might get charged with theft or whatever...

You could also try HSE or Trading Standards as the property is not totally fit for purpose.

Maybe one phonecall can solve it, tenancy law is not my bag but I know if you ask all the various organisations they will point you to the right channels to get an enforcement notice on the landlord as he is quite clearly breaking the law.

I will say though the house must be in really bad shape for a total rewire.

As far as I am aware there were some laws passed to stop the electric and gas suppliers from turning off the supply where it would produce hardship for the occupant.
As a result when the occupant has given permission to turn off the power as for example to carry out a PIR we can refuse to turn the supply back on.
But although we can advise the power is turned off we can't do it without permission.
I would have thought a rewire recommendation is same as condemning.
The people to talk to are the HSE. They will not bit your head off they are very approachable and will advise on how to proceed.

Sponsored Links
You cannot leave an elderly person without lighting or essential services.

Gas can be cut of for safety as it is not 100% essential for lighting and minimal heating

The first and immediate action should be to replace the switch with an all plastic one with nylon screws. That should remove the immediate danger.

Then begin the process of bringing the landlord into seeing the risks he is carrying due to the apparently unsafe electrical installation of his property.

( I am a landlord in that I rent out by late mother's house, the letting agency I use would be on my back to get things like this fixed if they happened )

I read somewhere a while ago that if essential work is needed to be carried out and your landlord refuses then you should get three quotes and then submit them to your landlord, informing them that you will be paying for the work and taking it from your rent.

Try here for more info.

rebuke, i agree that the dno should not reconnect if the installation is unsafe, but, in my experience and without prejudice, they dont give a toss.
I was called to a tennancy with an old wylex 4way and and all the neutrals and supply neutral where burnt out and bases melted. DNO turned up while i was there cos before hand i deduced that service fuse had blown and the idiot tried 2 new fuses in the sevice head, with, bangs, before he decided to listen to advice that he needed to look at the state of the board.

made temporary supply and it was ok.

Stopped doing PIR's for a lettings agent for similar reasons. Not interested in the massive potential liability.

The first and immediate action should be to replace the switch with an all plastic one with nylon screws. That should remove the immediate danger.

I'll go with that. Plus, replace any Class I fittings with Class II. As a temporary alternative, you could fit RCD protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back