Advice please - old VIR cabling to be rewired

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies in advance if this post appears a bit long winded but I want to make sure that I give you all the info so that you can give me the right sort of advice.

Our two-bed semi was built in 1960, with an extension built in 1981 before we moved here in 1982. In 1998 we got it rewired with (at the time) a modern fusebox with trip switches. Previously we had the kind with pull out fuses and wires. We don't remember getting any paperwork from the guy who did it. He was quite old then and I doubt that he is still with us. In any case we have no contact info for him after 15 years.

Now for my story ...

Last weekend my husband screwed two brackets in to the wall above our fireplace, between two side lights, to put up a mirror. When he put the power back on and switched on the lights only side one lit up. He checked the bulbs and they were fine, so we can only assume he screwed through the wire leading to the side two.

I thought I was on a winner as we have British Gas Home Care 400 plan which covers home electrics. The electrician came to do the work today and I was all prepared for her having to raggle out the wall. When she look the lights down she said that she had expected to find two cables behind side one but there was only one, meaning that the cable must be jointed somewhere in order to supply power to side two. She also said there was no earth at either side. When she went to the light switches she said she couldn't do any work as the light switch also had no earth and it was VIR cabling, which Scottish Gas don't cover.

She then said that my husband shouldn't have installed the new lights or light switches as they are metal, because there was no earth. I was starting to get very worried by now. She put a block behind the side lights switch so that they can't be switched on.

She showed me inside the fuse box where there were dozens of red wires, but amongst these were three brown wires. She said these were the VIR cabled circuits. The trip switches are labelled - Lights, Lights Extension, Spare, Central Heating, Sockets Extension, Sockets Kitchen, Sockets (1), Sockets (2), Cooker, Shower.

Two of the brown wires are located at the Lights trip switch and one is at one of the Sockets trip switches. She said that, as far as the VIR cable was concerned, it was likely that all our lights, apart from those in the extension, were on the same circuit as the living room and was unsure which sockets would be affected. She advised these should all be rewired.

The checklist form she left with me states that the fusebox does not comply with current standards, but she explained this was ok. She has also ticked that we are 'At Risk', as well as Code 1 - Danger Present, Code 2 - Potentially Dangerous AND Code 3 - Improvement Recommended.

Last year and this year we have spent a lot of money getting the hall, stairs, extension and living room replastered, decorated, new carpets & furniture, etc. We also converted our loft for storage so it is now floored, which will cause further problems and cost if it has to be lifted up. We only finished the living room work in September so I am heartbroken at the thought of more work and having to redecorate these areas. We aren't getting any younger and had hoped, apart from the odd lick of paint, that this work would see us into our dotage!

My husband doesn't seem all that perturbed by this situation but I am really worried. This has been left to me to sort out since he is at work and I am at home. If I don't action this, then I know I would still not have any sidelights five years from now! I have looked on this Forum and am concerned about what may be involved to rectify things. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and teary right now.

Can anyone please give me some advice as to next steps should be and some answers to my questions. I am not at all technically minded, but I know I would feel a whole lot better just to have some info in layman's language. It's the not knowing that is making me sick with panic. Am I blowing things all out of proportion?

- How long can this be left undone, as I really don't want any upheaval before Xmas?
- We have accidental damage cover as part of our building/ home contents insurance. Does anyone know if this would cover this work, given that it was an accident, or are we likely to be told by insurers that it's our duty to have the house wired properly?
- Will everything need to be rewired, or just(!) the three VIR cabled circuits?
- How much would this work cost - our house has two bed, two public (one of these is the extension), kitchen and bathroom? I asked the electrician for a rough estimate and she said approx £2000, more if Scottish Gas were to do it.
- Would we need to get a new fusebox?
- Would we need any kind of certificate, notification to Council, etc?
- Will the entire house need to be pulled apart?
- What amount of work and upheaval is likely to be involved just to get the side lights working again? Could that part just be completed on its own or will all the rewiring need to be done at the same time?

Please help me, thank you.
Kate

Sponsored Links
You can expect the rubber cable to be badly perished by now. Sometimes the insulation falls off the conductors if you touch it, and sometimes if you don't.

Lighting circuits with no earth wire are not uncommon, but you must not use metal switches or fittings with them as they could be dangerous.

It is usual to chase out the walls to fit new cables, or to run them under floors. If you are lucky, some of the old cable will have been fitted in conduit (modern plastic or old steel) and to some extent the new cable can be poked or pulled down it. Chasing out walls disturbs the decoration, and creates dust and dirt, and it is best to allow for someone else to restore it. Good electricians are not usually good plasterers or decorators.

It is much less trouble to rewire prior to decorating. It is possible, though not very elegant, to run new cables in mini-trunking on the surface of the wall, in the expectation that they will be chased into the plaster next time the room is decorated.

It is probably not essential for you to have a new consumer unit (fusebox) fitted, but this will be the least expensive and troublesome part of the job and it would be preferable.

It is probably not essential on safety grounds to replace the PVC cable, wich has a very long life, unless you want extra sockets or circuits, for example in the kitchen, so you are not faced with the cost of a total house rewire.

Your husband might be taking the view that the house hasn't burned down yet, and nobody has so far been electrocuted, so it must be safe. However old rubber cable gets worse and worse over time, and yours is probably already pretty bad.

Start by asking friends and neighbours if they can recommend a good local electrician. Ask him which Competent Person Scheme he is in before allowing him into your house (you can check on their website), how long he has been a member (you don't want a beginner) and is he a Domestic Installer (this is the lowest grade of qualification, and not especially skilled). ask to see some recent samples of his work and form an opinion of its neatness, and ask the householders what they think.

A new consumer unit or new circuits are Notifiable to the council under building regulations, and a member of a Competent Person Scheme is qualified to issue the paperwork. Replacing damaged cables is not notifiable but the electrician should give you a certificate including test results.

Your earthing wires will probably need to be brought up to date, but this is not usually a major job.

edited
sorry, the law is different is Scotland, I believe there is a system of Building Warrants which might be comparable to England's Notification.

It is probably not essential on safety grounds to replace the PVC cable, wich has a very long life, unless you want extra sockets or circuits, for example in the kitchen, so you are not faced with the cost of a total house rewire.
Kate said that the house was re-wired in 1998 (although clearly not completely re-wired, if some VIR was left!) - and I certainly wouldn't think that there would be a reason to replace any 1998 PVC cable on the grounds of age.

Kind Regards, John

The engineer which inspected your installation has offered you the correct advice. Providing the cable is VIR
The VIR cable needs to be removed from all circuits, regardless of your husbands accidental damaging it. It is now considered unsafe as the insulation will have broken or started to breakdown.
Can you get a good picture of the cables within the lighting points, switches usually show up the worst bits.
And if you have socket outlets that are covered by this cable, it would then be likely that a new consumer unit would need to be fitted to comply to current regulations.
No earth on metallic fittings also needs to be addressed there is a potential danger of electric shock, which has been increased by the condition of the cable installed.

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't the "electrician" have done IR tests on said VIR cable before condemning off-hand??

Maybe he did, and maybe it was OK.

Only 11 years earlier I removed VIR cable from my house which was in perfect condition.

Shouldn't the "electrician" have done IR tests on said VIR cable before condemning off-hand??
Well, I suppose IR tests might have helped to identify a truly immediate danger (if one were present), but that's about all - and there's even a danger that such tests could give some sense of 'false confidence'. Perfectly acceptable IR test results are obviously perfectly possible with VIR cable whose insulation is very brittle and just waiting to disintegrate. I would personally say that it (~50-year old VIR) is probably one of those things that can be 'condemned' merely because it is there, particularly in the absence of a CPC on teh lighting circuit!

You presumably would not advise that it was OK to leave the VIR (and absent CPC) there 'until further notice' just because the IR tests were satisfactory, would you?

Kind Regards, John

Only within the last month I've helped with an EICR in an old property. Parts of the downstairs ring were in VIR cabling. Everything tested out Hunky Dory.

OK, it's old, but not unsafe.

Only within the last month I've helped with an EICR in an old property. Parts of the downstairs ring were in VIR cabling. Everything tested out Hunky Dory. OK, it's old, but not unsafe.
OK - but I wouldn't want that in my home, regardless of the test results. IR test results, alone, obviously do not mean that it is necessarily not 'unsafe'.

20+ years ago I removed a lot of old VIR (singles and lead-sheathed - I don't know how old) from my house. As I matter of interest, I IR'd it prior to removal, and all was fine - and it also looked visually reasonable as well. However, by the time I'd pulled it out, there were piles of disintegrated insulation all over the place and a lot of bare conductors visible!

Kind Regards, John

Sounds like my old Gran JohnW2. You disturb her and she grumbles (crumbles???)!!
Yep, that's the issue (and my Gran was similar!). I agree that, in the absence of 'disturbance', there's a fair chance of VIR continuing without problem - but it can sometimes take so little disturbance to make it 'grumble' that I personally would not want to live with the risk (and, if I 'had to', I'd probably be moved to study the small print of my fire insurance policy very carefully!).

In passing, I am a little surprised that a house built ~1960 has VIR cable in the first place.

Kind Regards, John

Would it be best to get an EICR done before I get anyone in to quote for the job? Or should I just go ahead and get quotes? I didn't sleep at all last night for worrying about it all.

Would it be best to get an EICR done before I get anyone in to quote for the job? Or should I just go ahead and get quotes? I didn't sleep at all last night for worrying about it all.
That would certainly make sense - since, without an EICR, the scope/extent of what needs to be done won't be clear, so it's difficult to see how anyone could really give proper quotes - but it obviously is an additional expense. Of course, for that reason, anyone quoting will have to do at least some inspecting (and maybe testing), although presumably less than a full EICR, in order to know what to quote for.

Don't get too worried about the discussions you see going on here. Although I think that most electricians would probably advise you to get the VIR replaced as soon as is practical (particularly given the absence of earths in the lighting circuit), provided the cable is not 'disturbed' it is not a major immediate risk - after all, it's been OK up until now.

Kind Regards, John

It has just been disturbed though, by a nail/screw...
That is indeed true. However, I presume that the BG electrician did something about that, locally - although there could, of course, still be some collateral damage to the surrounding cable.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back