Specc'ing a rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One for the Sparkies on here.

I'm fairly soon (I hope!) going to exchange on a house that needs to be rewired. I had hoped to get away with a bit of updating and a few additions, but looking at it in more detail (VIR cables around the meter, no earth on lighting, very few sockets, much DIY-bodgery) it looks like a full rewire will be the better option.

If you were to quote for this, what info would you want?

I'm thinking along the lines of simply drawing on the walls (no decorations to worry about preserving in this place, yet!) the locations of sockets, switches and lights, cooker point and shower.

Is that detailed enough, what else would be useful?

Cheers,

Colin

Sponsored Links
One for the Sparkies on here.

I'm fairly soon (I hope!) going to exchange on a house that needs to be rewired. I had hoped to get away with a bit of updating and a few additions, but looking at it in more detail (VIR cables around the meter, no earth on lighting, very few sockets, much DIY-bodgery) it looks like a full rewire will be the better option.

If you were to quote for this, what info would you want?

I'm thinking along the lines of simply drawing on the walls (no decorations to worry about preserving in this place, yet!) the locations of sockets, switches and lights, cooker point and shower.

Is that detailed enough, what else would be useful?

Cheers,

Colin
Get quotes from 3 electricians and ask them to advise. Also, ensure they are members of one the competent person schemes so you get the job notified. It’s impossible to advise as to what you need without seeing the property.

It would be useful to know if any doors are going to rehung on the other side (old houses tend to have the doors opening in a space-wasting manner.

You need to consider that every usable corner needs a socket, rule of thumb.

You should consider mains powered smoke alarms.

Outside lights, separate RCBO protection, bathroom and toilet fans, 32 amp cooker supply, 5 amp sockets for lighting in reception rooms...

All a bugger to do later on, so worth considering now.

Sponsored Links
Run neutrals to the light switches for smart switches if required.

chase in deep back boxes where possible a lot of stuff coming out now dont fit too well with the old 25mm deep boxes

Do you really want an electric shower? If you have hot water from a gas boiler that is much better and cheaper.

Decide if you want anything in the way of data cabling, TV/satelite distribution, cables pulled in for intruder alarm, interlinked smoke detectors.

Its already been said, but decide if you want all RCBO, on a domestic job you;ll get dual RCD board unless you ask for different

How would a sparkie quote such a job?

I wouldve though a written schedule might be useful that could be emailed over -obv in conjunction with a site visit.

I know builders often quite from an architects schedule -say from a tender pack, in conjunction with drawings.

I know builders often quite from an architects schedule -say from a tender pack, in conjunction with drawings.
That is valid for electrical - but only if the electrical installation has been designed and specified properly.

For the typical homeowner, they have very little idea of what is actually required even in terms of the number of sockets etc., and that before all the other things which people only seem to consider after they have spent £50k on a new kitchen, bathrooms, hardwood floors, carpets and £100/roll feature wallpaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back