Ballpark cost for rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm shortly taking on a 2 bed semi which needs rewiring. It's going to be gutted, so everything fitted out, floor coverings up, skirting off, no need to make good etc...

I'm looking at a standard rewire, nothing special, white sockets, pendant lights etc

How long is it likely to take a sparkie to rewire - are we talking a few days, a week, a few weeks???

Also, what sort of ballpark cost am I likely to be looking at for parts and labour - it's based in Walton on Thames, West London

Sponsored Links
Between 1 and 10 weeks

It will cost about the same as a second hand car.

I'm looking at a standard rewire, nothing special, white sockets, pendant lights etc

What no TV / BT points, no boiler controls, no internet, no outside lighting, no sheds ?

Last 2+2 I did was £1150 materials and £1400 labour. Included metal plates, electric shower and cooker circuits, all the items already mentioned and took 7 working days M+B.

It shouldn't be too hard to adapt a floor plan to include your 'wants' electrically and cabling wise and get 3 x quotes.

You seem to understand the fact that the more access you give the person, the less they have to do and so the lower the labour element of the work will be.
Make sure you don't get stuffed with hong kongs finest rubbish CU and switches / sockets- spec MK or similar. A £1 more per socket or switch shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Sponsored Links
if you let me camp on site, you buy the bits and don't mind me taking 2 weeks, then I'll do it for a grand.. :) ( £500 cash in hand end of each week.. ) :cool: :LOL:

What no TV / BT points, no boiler controls, no internet, no outside lighting, no sheds ?

Last 2+2 I did was £1150 materials and £1400 labour. Included metal plates, electric shower and cooker circuits, all the items already mentioned and took 7 working days M+B.

It shouldn't be too hard to adapt a floor plan to include your 'wants' electrically and cabling wise and get 3 x quotes.

You seem to understand the fact that the more access you give the person, the less they have to do and so the lower the labour element of the work will be.
Make sure you don't get stuffed with hong kongs finest rubbish CU and switches / sockets- spec MK or similar. A £1 more per socket or switch shouldn't be a deal breaker.

All the tv sockets and phone extension ones I'll do myself. There's nought in the way of outbuildings currently. Many thanks for your post, it gives me a ballpark idea.

Regarding making life easier for the guys who quote and speccing out the job properly, I'll produce a floorplan as you suggested with accurate measurements for the kitchen. Is there anything else I can do to make their life easier when they come to quote?

pull the floorboards for them, so that they don't have to spend the time doing it..
make sure you mention that it will be empty and no making good needed etc..

get an isolator fitted by the DNO before they come ( should be free if you tell them you're having it rewired.. )

get an isolator fitted by the DNO before they come ( should be free if you tell them you're having it rewired.. )

Is that for the electrician to remove and lob in his tool bag when the new CU gets put in :LOL:

pull the floorboards for them, so that they don't have to spend the time doing it..
make sure you mention that it will be empty and no making good needed etc..

Cheers Col - you've been really helpful :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back