full rewire cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone-Im buying a 3 bed terraced property to renovate-its a shell at the moment & I need a full rewire-can anyone tell me what a full rewire should cost approx as I dont want to get ripped off-any advice gratefully accepted,cheers,Ian

Sponsored Links
Somewhere between £1k and £10k depending on location, size of property, number of circuits, type of sockets/lights, any outbuildings and many more issues that no-one on here can see.

Get 3 quotes from qualified, registered electricians and that should give you a good idea.

At the property is a shell and 'open' for the destruction caused by chases, back box sinking, cable routing etc

I'd expect it to be reasonable, a £1000-£1200 for materials and two weeks work for a sparks with mate. Maybe an extra couple of days to cover, survey / preamble, testing and certification.

You might want to add in TV, Voice and Data distribution to all the rooms while your at it.

I've just quoted and won £6k rewire of a 4 bed Edwardian which is currently fully wired surface style with trunking. 12 final circuits, 44 sockets, 18 lights and fully laminated ground floor :rolleyes: :eek:

Ill do it for 5k up front. Cheque made payable to C Ash

Sponsored Links
Chri5 said:
I've just quoted and won £6k rewire of a 4 bed Edwardian which is currently fully wired surface style with trunking. 12 final circuits, 44 sockets, 18 lights and fully laminated ground floor :rolleyes: :eek:
You sound cheap :LOL:

Thanks for the ;) replies everyone-so somewhere between £1 & £10k-funny thats what I thought !!Sounds like somewhere around £2k-£2.5 ??

I said:
... depending on location, size of property, number of circuits, type of sockets/lights, any outbuildings and many more issues that no-one on here can see.

Get 3 quotes from qualified, registered electricians and that should give you a good idea.
I didn't write that for a laugh mate, there is no way anyone on here can give you an estimate that is going to be accurate without seeing the property and getting a complete run down of what you want.

For example, you might want fancy chrome sockets at about £5.20 each. £5.20 x 40 sockets = £208

On the other hand, you might want plain white sockets at about £3 each. £3 x 40 sockets = £120

You might want an electric shower, but that shower might be on the adjoining wall to the consumer unit so 3 metres of 10mm² t&e should do it - about £10. On the other hand it could be at the other side of the house where the only cable route is through insulated walls. So you might need about 15 metres of 16mm² cable - about £90. I could go on but I think I have made my point.

The only way to get an accurate idea of how much a rewire is going to cost, is to get some local electricians to give you a quote.

But I will alter my estimate: somewhere between £2k and 6k should do it. :D

So you won't fight me on the topic of junction boxes, but you're ready to go right now over an estimate!!!! :LOL:

rangy said:
Thanks for the ;) replies everyone-so somewhere between £1 & £10k-funny thats what I thought !!Sounds like somewhere around £2k-£2.5 ??

I think he was just having a giggle, not mocking you for giving such a wild estimate (not that I think it was wild, just enough room for the multitude of variations!)! Seems like a sensible chap, I don't think he was expecting:

"£3754.56 depending on if its weekday or weekend work"

CallEdsFirst said:
So you won't fight me on the topic of junction boxes, but you're ready to go right now over an estimate!!!! :LOL:

What did you say about my mother?! :evil: *rolls up sleeves*

CallEdsFirst said:
rangy said:

I think he was just having a giggle, not mocking you for giving such a wild estimate (not that I think it was wild, just enough room for the multitude of variations!)!

Maybe I misread, but it seemed like he was being serious when asking whether 2-2.5k was a reasonable amount to pay just after I had explained that there were too many variables for anyone on a forum to say.

If that too was indeed a joke, then perhaps the wink could have been placed better? :p

Thanks Davy-I see your point-how long is a piece of string ? P.S.For £6k,Id want gold fittings !!

FTAO DAVY

davy_owen_88 [b]ANGRILY[/b] said:
What did you say about my mother?! :evil: *rolls up sleeves*

That she makes a damn good cake, Sir......please don't hurt me! :LOL:

davy_owen_88 said:
Maybe I misread, but it seemed like he was being serious when asking whether 2-2.5k was a reasonable amount to pay just after I had explained that there were too many variables for anyone on a forum to say.

I think he was saying that it's more likely to be the lower end of the scale bearing in mind there's no chrome or gold involved, shower is close to CU etc

davy_owen_88 said:
If that too was indeed a joke, then perhaps the wink could have been placed better? :p

We can't all be expert forum users who have ;) nothing better ;) to do all day! :LOL: ;) :LOL: ;) :LOL: ;)

FTAO OP

Twice the length from its midpoint to one or other of its terminii. :LOL:

I think its fair to say that whilst there are many variables, there are rough guidelines to the extremes.

If it's above £10k then:

a) We want details of the job and the quote so we can assess the likelihood of it costing that much;
b) Call a team of us lot to come and do it for you, it sounds like a good job! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back