Rewiring cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 bedroom house that needs rewire/partial rewire. Just wondering what sort of cost it would be and if it does need a full or partial rewire.. There's one double socket in each bedroom and kitchen and couple each in two living rooms, All lights are working as does electrics. I need more sockets in all rooms and plenty more in kitchen and hallway + new wiring for spotlights in kitchen + new rcd box. There's plenty of newish wiring under floorboards already and access to these is easy as house is a shell at moment with mix of bare brick walls and plaster so no need to make good any chased in plaster work as i will finish off. A rough idea of price lancashire area would be much appreciated..Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If we can't see it then we can't accurately price it, but with the house in this state, I would say you'd be looking at a couple of thousand upward depending on your exact requirements. Of course, this would depend on the extend of rewiring required.

Yeah thanks electronicsuk. Would this be classed as a full rewire or partial rewire seeing as electric is working fine but needs modernising. Does all the existing underfloor wiring need to be totally changed or just added to? What do i need to look for in so far as a guarantee or certificate from the electrician? I hope by replastering and easy access this will keep costs lower? How long would this take?

Sponsored Links
without seeing the existing installation it is hard to tell what needs replacing.

as you have so few sockets possibly it would be logical to replace all the socket wiring and fit three new ring circuits;
up
down
kitchen

as for the lighting;
does it have earth wires throughout?
is the insulation pvc?
do you have enough lights and switches where you need them?
do you have two or more lighting circuits?

do you have 10 mm earth to gas+water etc?

Yeah thanks electronicsuk. Would this be classed as a full rewire or partial rewire seeing as electric is working fine but needs modernising.

Again, without seeing, it's impossible to say. If the cables are fairly recent PVC then they probably wont need replacing. If they are ageing PVC then it would make sense to replace now while it's possible. If they are rubber/VIR then they will definitely need replacing, regardless of whether or not everything is still in working condition.

Does all the existing underfloor wiring need to be totally changed or just added to?

As above.

What do i need to look for in so far as a guarantee or certificate from the electrician? I hope by replastering and easy access this will keep costs lower? How long would this take?

You need to make sure your electrician is a member of a self certification scheme. You should be issued an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) by the electrician, and they will also arrange with building control to send you paperwork to confirm compliance with part P of the building regs via their certification scheme.

Replastering/easy access will keep costs low, but I still doubt you'll get any quotes of less than £2k from a decent spark, and that's for a basic rewire with no-frills accessories. Your mileage may vary.

Whilst its gutted, it makes good sense to completaly rewire, I would not want to pick up on old wiring and it would probably be more cost efective to run new circuits!

Upstairs ring,
downstairs ring,
kitchen ring,
good cooker radial,
upstairs lighting,
downstairs lighting,
Smoke and heat detectors,
outside socket radial,
loft radial,
complete new main earth, spike and bonding to services,
Boiler spur,
outside lights,
other circuits as required.

Just done a 3 bed Victorian terrace as above and charged £3k including first pass making good.

CBW

does it have earth wires throughout?
is the insulation pvc?
do you have enough lights and switches where you need them?
do you have two or more lighting circuits?

do you have 10 mm earth to gas+water etc?

There is only 2 wires coming from the existing lights but earth throughout the plug sockets. All insulation appears to be fairly recent pvc.Mainly need more plug sockets with the odd new light switch for kitchen area. Not sure about the lighting circuit scenario. Not sure about earthing as gas pipes need changing from lead to copper and water also needs changing to plastic piping

I really think whilst its gutted you should rewire fully, we do with all our rental properties, makes them safe for tenants and will make them more saleable!

CBW

Thanks cbw.How long did it take you to rewire the victorian house you mentioned? A full rewire would be good but i only expected to pay £1000-£1500 max. Will get few quotes in anyway and see what they say. I presume the building regs is covered by the self certification of the electrician so i don't have to do anything that side, or do the building control have to make a visit? ps what is an outside socket radial for-external electrics?

The customer wanted a socket in the garden??? Lean mean grilling machine!!!???

Why he wanted one in the loft I do not know....canabis cultivation?

If you shop around you may find someone to do it for £2-£2500, depends on lots of things! It may be quieter in your area so someone may come down on their price.

If you use a properly registered electrician you will not have to do anything with building control, all taken care of, but do check, Building control keep an up to date list of 'competent' electricians on their web site.

The last 2 rewires I have done have been 'fillers' and I have worked on them around other work as they were not needed urgently.

Again it depends on what you are willing to pay........I can get a small 'team' in and do a Victorian terrace in day, or me on my own doing a couple of days here and a couple of days there will take a month!

Sorry to be vague but lots of variables....Work on between £2 and £3K and between 5 to 10 days

sounds like a complete rewire is needed. there is little point saving old bits of the installation. far better to replace everything while you have the chance. obviously IF things like 10 mm earth etc have been added recently they may remain. make sure you have plenty of sockets etc fitted now as it won't be so easy later. your lighting circuits should have earth throughout. if the socket wires are stranded this may suggest the wiring is 40+ years. any electrician will tell you it is more practical to replace old wiring than trying to intercept it into new wiring.

? A full rewire would be good but i only expected to pay £1000-£1500 max.

rotfl.gif

There are some typical prices here. http://www.whatprice.co.uk/electrician/wiring.html

Why he wanted one in the loft I do not know....canabis cultivation?
I can think of far more mundane reasons

At my parents we have a double socket in our loft (on a dedicated 16A radial) with a powerstrip plugged into one side, this supplies

1: a light for use when working on the upstairs lighting circuit (the main lights in the loft are on the upstairs lighting circuit)
2: signal boosters for TV and FM
3: a network switch

Plus any power tools we happen to be using up there and often an inspection lamp when working in the darker corners of the loft.

Is it really so unusual to have stuff that needs power up in the loft?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back