Cost of rewiring a 2 / 3 bed terraced house

Hi,
Ive never posted on a forum before and im not that good with computers
For someone who admits that your first post is pretty good :).

BUT that advice must of been squeezed in between all the times hes belittled, berated and basically made to feel unwelcome anyone who disagrees with him or asks a daft question. and some are daft... but theres a way of responding.
As my father always said, civility costs nothing. I don't post anything on a forum that I wouldn't say to anyone in person, and I certainly wouldn't just tell anyone to get lost as for me it means I've lost the argument, and yeah, I have (some) ego and don't really want to lose the argument.

Ive met people like him before.
Oddly enough I've only met one in person. People in the trade generally don't behave this rudely as they want your custom. When someone is rude on forums here I get the impression that they are not at the customer-facing side of the business and either work in an office or are retired or something else.

times hes said to new posters 'ur not welcome here' or something along those lines and really some of the regular posters should put him in his place.
Yes. Complaints concerning direct insults are presumably ignored by the forum admins, even though the forum guidelines are quite clear on this. If they were upheld he'd have been banned by now I'm sure. Most people, desperate for advice unfortunately just bend over and take it from him because he does actually know something. The problem for him though, is that there can be 100 of him, so long as you have a thick skin and keep asking the one good guy will answer your questions, so I would urge you and anyone else reading to not lose heart from his rants.

The problem is that there are a bunch of regulars that step in and back him up regardless of how rude he is whereas the dozens of victims just visit the site to get info and then clear off, so there is no solidarity amongst them.

So thats it really ive had my rant, im under no illusions it wont change his attitude but i feel better.
I suspect that you've also made dozens of people on the receiving end of his vitriol feel slightly better about the situation, so whether you change his attitude is beside the point. You're making you view known, and that is always (to me at least) welcome on a forum, even if a little off-topic.

Cheers,
S.

Sponsored Links
If you think that "I think you should just go away, as there is clearly nobody here telling you what you want to hear" is rude, or an insult, or a rant, then you are deranged.

Hi

Thought id check see what kind of responses theres been. After reading first two was a little surprised. How can u say some people dont deserve respect when the only contact you've had with whoever it may be is a post or two on a forum. Surely u weren't born into this world knowing all the latest building codes. Its only a daft question if you know the answer.

Then i realised there was a third page and saw shaggers post and im glad he agrees with me. What hes said is spot on civility does cost nothing and I think the main problem is that people dont generally talk to people the way b.a.s does in the real world. I cant see how anyone can get very far in this industry without good people skills. Its way to easy to give abuse from behind a monitor and if you tried it on a site you'd have no teeth left by payday.

By the way b.a.s i dont think your comment on this thread is too bad, its still rude yeah but im really talking about some other things youve said in other posts. I just said my bit here cause it was the most recent.

It seems to be very clique-y (is that a word?) on here and im sure people are put off by it.

If the guy who started this post is still about then i dont think 3k is too far off. My mate charges me £40 socket, £40 light, £25 switch, £75 ext fan, £50 smoke,£40 shaver, £60 for cert and around £250 for new board so if you take it as 4 downlights for b/room then your looking at £2525. that includes standard fittings. They are his standard rates and from past experience most sparks by me charge about that. He would do it in 2 days 1st fix 2/3 days 2nd fix with a labourer. Its not cheap but I pay it cause really its the only option and ive looked through the electrical textbooks and if you can understand all that and pass a test on it then I cant grumble with paying 250 a day. You could always look for a spark whos willing to let you pull all the cables, come check it and take over after boarding. Wont be easy but you should find someone. Hope that helps.

James

If the guy who started this post is still about then i dont think 3k is too far off. My mate charges me £40 socket, £40 light, £25 switch, £75 ext fan, £50 smoke,£40 shaver, £60 for cert and around £250 for new board so if you take it as 4 downlights for b/room then your looking at £2525. that includes standard fittings. They are his standard rates and from past experience most sparks by me charge about that.
Whilst I totally agree with your general comments about some of the responses, and in particular the way in which some responses are worded, in this thread (and many others), I think you are perhaps quibbling a little here. £3k might well be a little high, but given all the variables and variations, the difference between £2525 (which I assume includes VAT) and £3000 is not really enough to allow one to draw any real conclusions about. What one might expect ('on average') to be the cost of a rewire could easily go up, or down, by £500 or more once a site inspection has revealed specific details and issues associated with the particular job.

Kindest Regards, John

Sponsored Links
When I worked on for a firm, I used to be allowed 6 days with an apprentice to rewire a normal occupied 2 up 2 down semi. All boards and carpets back down every night, all circuits kept running at the end of every day, all wiring flushed in, all making good by us, and issue of a full EIC.

The time (and therefore the price) would increase if the house was full of cr*p, if the loft was boarded, if the ground floor was concrete etc etc.

3k sounds about right to me.

After reading first two was a little surprised. How can u say some people dont deserve respect
I've been around for a long time.

when the only contact you've had with whoever it may be is a post or two on a forum.
I am sure no one is treated badly after their first or second post.
It may be the first you have seen but there may be history.

Surely u weren't born into this world knowing all the latest building codes.
I was not.

] Its only a daft question if you know the answer.
I don't really agree with that.
If people don't know, then it's not a 'daft' question.

Alright, people should not be asterisked at on a public forum but I would rather have a strict, grumpy teacher who knew all the answers than a really pleasant one who didn't.

I am very suspicious of someone who would sign up to a forum for the sole/main purpose of complaining about something on that forum.
It does seem to me more likely a stratagem by a wounded party.

lol no thats not it. Just came on here to look for some advice, spent a while browsing and saw these comments that wound me up. If signing up had meant filling out loads of details i dont think i would of bothered but it was quick. I think if you saw it from the outside point of view you'd see what i mean. I wouldn't normally care and I'm not normally the type to complain but someone should say something. Im done now anyway

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back