Rewire or not to rewire?

Bad picture, but if you can make it out you can see why were rewiring.

I think its VIR cable going down to the light switches.

Also what I can't make out is why there is grey PVC cable going into brown wylex junction boxes, how old would these be? Surely not 1958?

Sponsored Links
Hard to date a gray pvc cable, more than likely it is an alteration, addition or repair. How is the rewire going?

Rewire starts tomorrow!

Have just been pulling up the boards in the attic today, to aid access for the sparks to start tomorrow.

http://www.house-electrician.com/Price-Guide.php said:
NICEIC Electrical Installation Certification, Building Control notification and Guarantees provided will not be provided until after full payment has been cleared by our bank.
An interesting stand-off, because the job isn't finished until the certificate is issued, so he's demanding payment in full before he's finished the job.

You've all seen Channel 5's Cowboy Builders?! If you are unhappy with your tradesman you take 'em to court!!!! And, because you're taking a business to court, you can even claim back your legal fees too - the cost of 'Expert Witnesses' can put an extra grand on the bill without even batting an eyelid....

BUT!!!! How many of you tradesmen have experienced 'Cowboy Customers'? The customers who know the law so well they know you can't even phone them up every week regarding an overdue payment unless you want the police knocking on YOUR door for harassment?

This can't be true, can it? A customer owes a tradesman £3.5k and the tradesman phones up at weekly intervals just 4 times... And the police are knocking at the tradesman's door!!!

And if the tradesman takes the customer to court the tradesman can't seek the cost of the legal stuff - just the unpaid bill... No wonder why the tradesman's solicitor says "put it down to experience and move on..."

How many of you have hired something - even just a wall-paper steamer? Read the small print on the back of the hire agreement...

It would seem electrician direct does not use small print - he puts it in big writing for all to see.

Sponsored Links
http://www.house-electrician.com/Price-Guide.php said:
NICEIC Electrical Installation Certification, Building Control notification and Guarantees provided will not be provided until after full payment has been cleared by our bank.
An interesting stand-off, because the job isn't finished until the certificate is issued, so he's demanding payment in full before he's finished the job.

Just phoned NICEIC Technical helpline...
Certificate MUST be provided on completion of works - as soon as the installation or part of the circuit is energised.

interesting.

I would probably ignore what the NICeys have to say. As i understand it from other electricians, they are prone to making up their own rules whenever they see fit.

I hardly ever produce paperwork at the point that they suggest, for a couple of reasons- I do mine on computer, i don't have a computer or printer in the van. If i use a contract before work begins, it says that i will issue relevant paperwork 14 days after payment has cleared. This is how i do it.

I wonder if the way the NIC works has anything to do with increasing their sales of triplicate stationary to their mugs, <cough> er, i mean members :confused:

interesting.

I would probably ignore what the NICeys have to say. As i understand it from other electricians, they are prone to making up their own rules whenever they see fit.

I hardly ever produce paperwork at the point that they suggest, for a couple of reasons- I do mine on computer, i don't have a computer or printer in the van. If i use a contract before work begins, it says that i will issue relevant paperwork 14 days after payment has cleared. This is how i do it.

I wonder if the way the NIC works has anything to do with increasing their sales of triplicate stationary to their mugs, <cough> er, i mean members :confused:

Which Part P provider are you with? NICEIC were informed NICEIC logo certificates are available on Ebay... NICEIC response was "what would you like us to do with this information".

I don't think CORGI would be so flippant about the misuse of their certificates....

I agree,

It makes a bit of a mockery if you can just pick them up on fleabay.

I have not gone to the dark-side, i'm nic-free :)

I suppose who ever reported that to the nic got through to the 'don't give a sh**' department. They've already sold the stationary, so what do they care? -unless it goes for more than the nic sell it for originally, then i imagine law-suits would follow :)

The problem with certs on ebay is that the serial number would be tied to a company, unless they dont have serial numbers, in which case, are they worth the paper they are written on when issued?

The problem with certs on ebay is that the serial number would be tied to a company, unless they dont have serial numbers, in which case, are they worth the paper they are written on when issued?

And a lot of companies have gone down the pan... leaving any paperwork without a '£' on it in their wake.

interesting.

Well you understand wrong then

All they require is that you work to BS7671.

As there are so many electricians who dont, and also have no idea what the requirements of BS7671 actually are, when NICEIC require them to work to the required standard they see this as rules being made up.

They are not making up rules. They do have their own guidelines as to how compliance with BS7671 can be acheived, but this is not really any different form the OSG showing was with which BS7671 can be complied.

Well you do it wrong then.

No, it ensures their members work to BS7671, just as every electrician should be doing too.

Oh and before you ask, I do not work for or have any affiliation with NICEIC.

interesting.

As there are so many electricians who dont, and also have no idea what the requirements of BS7671 actually are, when NICEIC require them to work to the required standard they see this as rules being made up.

They are not making up rules. They do have their own guidelines as to how compliance with BS7671 can be acheived, but this is not really any different form the OSG showing was with which BS7671 can be complied.

No, it ensures their members work to BS7671, just as every electrician should be doing too.

So.... Jotting test measurements down on a note pad and writing/typing them up later doen't meet BS:7671/2008? I used to put the measurements straight on to the certificate, but writing in such a small size and doing so while on-site led to crossings out... And a boss who complained about the cost of the paperwork and his paperwork to state I had mucked up the paperwork and the certificate number destoyed destroyed :(

No - doing it later is OK.

Doing it 14 days later is a bit not OK.

Expecting to be paid before you've finished the job (and it is NOT finished until the certificate is issued to the client) is very much not OK.

interesting.

So.... Jotting test measurements down on a note pad and writing/typing them up later doen't meet BS:7671/2008? I used to put the measurements straight on to the certificate, but writing in such a small size and doing so while on-site led to crossings out... And a boss who complained about the cost of the paperwork and his paperwork to state I had mucked up the paperwork and the certificate number destoyed destroyed :(

Anyway, I'm contemplating buying certificated from Ebay to give to customers... How many customers know what Building Control Compliance Certificates look like... Maybe I can even buy these on Ebay? By the way, I am not being serious about buying from Ebay - they work out cheaper from the NICEIC for me!!!!!!!!

It takes but a few minutes with a PDF editor to download the specimens from the NICEIC website and remove the "SPECIMEN" watermark...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back