Do we need a rewire?

• Thread starter Deleted member 15266
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15266

Doing works to the house at the moment and need to replace a couple of single sockets with doubles and install 1 extra socket. However don't know if we actually need a rewire. The fuse box has a thin red and thin black wire and an earth wire and some grey cabling. I would prefer not to go to the expense and hastle of a full rewire but anything I do to the house now I want to last for the next 10 years. We don't seem to have any problems with blowing fuses or anything.

Sponsored Links
Without seeing it, it is very hard to tell, your description could be of most consumer units in the country.
Is the 'grey wire' plastic or rubber covered?
If rubber, start saving for the rewire, as rubber persihes in abour 25 years, and they stopped putting it in 30 years ago ;)
Do you have trips or fuses - if fuses the installation is probably more than 10 years old - not necessarily bad, but a good indicator.
Do you have an earth in your lighting wiring - you'll have to take off a light switch to look for this - is there only red or black wire or is there a bare or green/yellow one going to the backbox or switch. If no earth the house predates the late '60s, and although not as serious as rubber, this is still an indication of an installation that will need attention in time.
How many fuses/circuit breakers do you have - generally later installations have more segregated circuits, older ones may have as few as 3 or 4.
To be more specific, we need all these details, and ideally that picture. If it does all you need, and looks reasonably modern, its unlikely to need a full re-wire, but it might still be a good idea to get someone to quote you to give it the once over (professionally called a 'periodic inspection report) if you are really worried.
regards M.

Sponsored Links
mapj1 said:
If rubber, start saving for the rewire, as rubber persihes in abour 25 years, and they stopped putting it in 30 years ago ;)

More like 40, mate!

I would say that that is definitely due for a re-wire.

WHAT are those tails feeding the box next to the meter????

They are not kosher - look like 2 x 2.5 twisted together.

Plus, the cabinet your fusebox is mounted in will make fitting a replacement awkward at the least, due to the skinny width.

Debbie - I would pay for a qualified spark to give your install a Periodic Inspection Report (PIR).

Then you'll know exactly what's what.

Many thanks for your help. I don't know what the wires are? Can I ask two more questions. What should I budget for a rewire - smallish 5 room terrace? Is it possible to do one room at a time?

Yes. It is possible, but a very dear way.

Can't really say how much....1500+?

More to the point WTF is the top bit that says fuses, with an on / off switch.. plus cables in bottom left corner.

David

My guess is that that's where the fuses are, and that the on/off switch is the main incomer for those fuses.

The rest of the stuff is obviously later additions.

Yes, that's the fusebox.

It is supplied as a complete unit with a metal case, door and a combined fuse box with ceramic fuse carriers and a rotary isolator. It is rather elderly, and cramped for retro-fitting modern units, so most people have them removed and recess a larger cupboard into the cavity to be able to accommodate what they need.

It isn't a small job, though, as you have to get the REC DNO whatever to re-jig the incoming supply.

So which of these wires do we think are the incoming supply then? - I can't see anything I'd really like as an incoming main (i.e. nothing beefy)!

Debbie,
I'd suggest, having seen the picture, that at least as soon as anything more needs adding to the fuse board, you should budget for it all to be changed -it reminds me of the worst kind of "church hall" installations, where things have been added over the ages by people who never met each other, each working in a different style, but nothing ever taken away.
Hopefully some of it is redundant, and can be switched off without the loss of anything critical, but that would be sadly unusual. :confused:
When it is changed you will probably end up with a new cupboard and box on the surface in front off the old one, or else a new hole along side this recessed cupboard (and a lot of brick dust while the hole is made)
You might like to identify what goes off with each switch (and if really brave which fuse in the upper box) if only for your own reference.

regards M.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back