Is a rewire required to add sockets and replace CU?

Sponsored Links
Found 7 cases of 'Green Slime' in Yorkshire in the last year.

Oh!! is that my trumpet? then i shall blow :LOL:

If it's original it's in rubber

Not necessarily. PVC-sheathed cable was in quite widespread use by the end of the 1950's. The original poster did say that it's PVC anyway.

Fair point, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't in 'widespread' use until into the 1960s.

In any case, if the wiring is original any electrician is going to recommend a rewire - it's over fifty years old. If it has been rewired at some point, then any half-decent electrician should be able to date it and advise accordingly.

Sponsored Links
Thing is as I'm sure others will agree to, is once you get past a certain age of wiring generally while you could patch it up, thats what it will be... 'patched up' and sometimes its worthwhile just cutting your losses and going for a fresh install!

Learnt pretty early on when I started doing perioidics that you've really got to spell it out to the client in the summary that while you can deal with the idems individually, sometimes its not always the best option!... rather tha trying to let the list of faults speak for themselves!

...PVC-sheathed cables don't deteriorate like the old rubber types...
Usually.

They will do if exposed to heat, for example next to or in contact with hot water or heating pipes, and very rarely you will find 1970's cable which exude green slime due to a reaction between the copper and the blend of plastic used in the insulation. You will generally observe this, if it is present, inside the enclosures when you are changing switches and sockets. Such cable should be replaced as soon as practicable. Slime can be wiped off with a tissue and thrown away (keep it off the skin and out of switches)
View media item 1631Green slime
John, where can I get a couple of those plastic junction boxes? :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back