1960s/70s wiring - does these automatically mean a rewire?

You say the earthing conductor to the electrode was undersized: what size is it?

It looks about 6mm but I expect it is some imperial equivalent. It has the wrong colur, too (just green rather than yellow / green) but main problem is the top of the electrode is now buried under concrete with just the wire poking out...

Steve

Sponsored Links
Fair enough. But your csa size alone would not be a problem on a TT system.

I do not think the original electrician was trying to rip me off - quite the opposite. He didn't want to touch it.
I'd not be at all surprised to find that, although registered, he wasn't a "real" electrician...

He was a youngish chap, mid twenties maybe - probably not long out of college. I suspect he was probably fully qualified and being relatively freshly trained probably knew all the regulations very well, but I got the impression that his idea of fun was following around kitchen companies wiring the odd socket or cooker into nice new consumer units - he didn't seem at all keen on touching an installation that was a lot older than he was ;)

I now have the number of a much older and very experienced guy who I will be ringing tomorrow with a view to him coming and doing an inspection.

Steve

Yeah, I expect the majority of electricians in their mid twenties don't have a clue what they're on about :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back