New kitchen and CU replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Client wants to replace their kitchen. The house currently has a 4 way rewireable fuse box (lights, ring, cooker, immersion heater). The customer understands that this needs upgrading and is happy for a CU replacement. However, they are not happy to have a rewire. The general condition of the installation after an initial basic inspection (no proper testing yet) looks good.

So, I could put in a new CU with a new circuit for the kitchen but how would you go about migrating the existing circuits allowing for spliting upstairs/downstairs lights and sockets across RCDs?

Or I could split the supply via henly block and put the kitchen on its own RCD and ignore the existing installation. Perhaps upgrade the rewireable fuses to MCBs as part of it although this would mean making changes to the installation that don't meet current regs.

Or I could put in a CU with 4 RCBOs for the existing circuits and one for the kitchen. All circuits would be protected but there would be no allowance for upstairs/downstairs spliting.

How would you approach this?

Sponsored Links
CU with RCBO's throughout.

You should advise them that the lighting is all on one circuit, since they already have that on the re-wire fuses they should know already.

Not perfect, but then you are still improving the design and have not made anything 'less safe'.

Ideally they should be sold the idea to run a new circuit and split the lighting in to 2 circuits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back