buying a house

I was referring to your objection to this:
The floor area served by the circuit is determined by the known or estimated load and should not exceed the value given in Table H2.1
not your comment on tails.
Oh, ok.

Well, same comment really.

Even more meaningless (if that is possible, actually or semantically).

Sponsored Links
The problem here is that you simply will not accept the validity of any R-O-T type guidelines.

Possibly - maybe there are some which are valid and make sense.
I think the real problem is that so many people do not realise that many things in the likes of the OSG are "rule-of-thumb guidelines" (since it doesn't really point that out). Many seem to think that they are not "rules of thumb" but, rather, that they are guidance on how to interpret actual regulations.

Of course, a goof few of the guidelines in the OSG seem to have been pulled out of the air, and bear no relationship to any regulation, past or present. Things like the one about spur lengths (1/8 of distance from spur origin to furthest part of ring) and about 'minimum' number of socket outlets for various types of room seem to be good examples of that. The latter may be reasonable 'common sense guidance', but the former is so bizarre that I don't know what to say about it :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If any advice in the OSG is regulation, the number is printed alongside.

If any advice in the OSG is regulation, the number is printed alongside.
Indeed, but many people seem to think that the guideline is some sort of 'instruction', even when there is no regulation referenced.

Worse, I'm sure there are plenty of cases in which the 'guidance' appears to 'require' things that the regulation it references does not require.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed, but many people seem to think that the guideline is some sort of 'instruction', even when there is no regulation referenced.
Well a friend has been doing some major alterations to a property - with a complete rewire thrown in (didn't make sense to keep what little of the original was left). Bought the OSG, not the bible - works from what the OSG says.

Well a friend has been doing some major alterations to a property - with a complete rewire thrown in (didn't make sense to keep what little of the original was left). Bought the OSG, not the bible - works from what the OSG says.
The one thing to be said for that is that it is probably usually fairly 'safe' ('errs on the side of caution'), since, when there are differences from BS7671, the OSG's guidelines tend to go beyond what would actually be required to satisfy BS7671.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back