Upstairs downstairs light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately I don’t have the budget to do a full rewire, as we moved in a year ago so please can I kindly ask that you answer my question only if you are able to offer a solution that doesn’t involve a complete rewire.

Here’s my problem, I currently have a 2 way light switch in my downstairs hallway that can turn off and on the lights downstairs and the upstairs landing. I have a light switch upstairs that can only turn of and on the lights in my upstairs landing and can not turn off the lights in my downstairs hallway. Both lights are not earthed but some of the lights in my house and all the sockets are earthed.

Is there a solution that doesn’t involve a complete rewire that can get a two way switch upstairs to turn off and on the lights downstairs???

Sponsored Links
It can be done without a complete rewire.

It cannot be done without running another cable between the landing and hallway switch.

I’m happy to have another wire run we just can’t afford a rewire at the moment but my children keep leaving the lights on downstairs and it’s becoming a real pain.

How would someone go about doing this please? If I wanted to hire an electrician how would I go about asking him?

There are now RF switches, some use batteries, other use the switch action to work. They are not cheap, and likely hard wiring could be cheaper, much depends on decoration.

This is one type I will see if the other any cheaper.

This is the other type

There is also remote controls with use something like a TV remote. I use one of these
2566X_P
it can be switched with a remote control, and with a hub also your phone or any other computer.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
We have an RF switch but it doesn’t seem to be working because the upstairs light doesn’t appear to be wired correctly.

If we know which RF switch maybe some one can advice. With the switch which I have there is a limit to three remote controls, as a result it is possible to accidentally remove the programming to one remote when trying to program in another device.

I was lazy, I did not want to bother wiring in a second switch to turn bedroom light on/off, the energenie mihome switch was selected because I already had other energenie mihome stuff so I already had the hub, so I have energy monitor, eTRV heads, sockets and light switch all on the same system. I would not recommend the switch to you as your looking for the remote to be fixed to the wall. As to wiring my switch has 3 connections, one is unused and there is nothing in the instructions to even say what it is for. So in real terms there are just two connections and it really does not matter which wires go to which terminal it would still work.

The MK Echo info here £92.74 for reviver and £100.36 for switch means two switches will cost £300 that is to me rather expensive.

The EasySwitch is a bit cheaper £41.40 and £59.22 works out cheaper The receiver instructions shows how wired, I have read it and to be frank not sure it it need one or two transmitters, never used one, just know they exist.

Thank you for your response.

We have a switch that connects to Alexa. You could command it to turn on and off which it would do, but you couldn’t then press the button to turn it on so the children were not able to just switch it on.

Every time the children leave the lights on send them downstairs to turn them off. They will soon learn.

Hi, I have the same issue as the OP. I've been ghosted/no shows from electricians. My question is, I have stone walls so I assume they will have to be riddled to put in the additional wire? I've been waiting to wallpaper as I don't want to have to redo it, but it's dragging on and my other half is moaning so I figured it was worth checking I was right.

Cheers

Hi, I have the same issue as the OP. I've been ghosted/no shows from electricians. My question is, I have stone walls so I assume they will have to be riddled to put in the additional wire? I've been waiting to wallpaper as I don't want to have to redo it, but it's dragging on and my other half is moaning so I figured it was worth checking I was right.

Cheers

Eric suggested remote control type switches as one solution, which avoids any rewiring. Another option, often used in the likes of HMO's, is pneumatic push button switches, which keep the light on for a few minutes, once the button is pressed.

Cheers
Yes you will likely need the wall chased/raggled to do a proper job

Yes you will likely need the wall chased/raggled to do a proper job
Thanks, I'll go for ragged rather than riddled .

Deffo want it done properly rather than the plastic trunking (?) that sits outside the wall.

Cheers.

Thanks, I'll go for ragged rather than riddled .

Deffo want it done properly rather than the plastic trunking (?) that sits outside the wall.

Cheers.
I think "riddled" has more to do with how many STDs you've contracted than anything to do with home electrics.

Others have mentioned above that you can also get "wireless" switches, I'm not sure how well they work never used them. I assume they'll need a neutral as well so may need new cabling between light and switch, you probably get battery powered ones too though

Others have mentioned above that you can also get "wireless" switches, I'm not sure how well they work never used them. I assume they'll need a neutral as well so may need new cabling between light and switch, you probably get battery powered ones too though

Some work, by charging up, using the voltage across the switch, when the switch is off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back