2 way lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a two way lighting circuit in my hall and landing. There was a light switch in the landing and hallway which controlled just a light in the hallway. I have had installed a light in the landing and connected to the light switch in the landing. I don't know if the light switch downstairs was changed or untouched. The problem I have is that you can turn both lights on from the hall but if you then go upstairs and turn the landing switch off it only turns off the hall. Then if I go back downstairs and turn the hall light on and off the landing doesn't go off? Someone please help.

Sponsored Links
I have had installed a light in the landing and connected to the light switch in the landing.
It is unusual to have a neutral at a switch. Even if you have a blue wire.

There are a number of ways to wire a two way switch but the common method is Com only links the two switches. L1 and L2 can be either way around one will be permanent line the other switched line.

So if there is a neutral at the switch then likely simple try L1 and if light will not go off move to L2.

If you try using one of the switched lines as a neutral then you will have lights in series with some switch positions. Type and wattage of the bulb will alter how the lights work in this situation.

two-way-real.bmp
Look at that diagram and you can see no neutral needs to go to switch.

Thanks. I moved the live from the landing light from com and into l1 and now works perfectly!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back