Upstairs/Downstairs light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My upstairs and downstairs hallway lights are joined so the light switches both upstairs and downstairs can turn on/off both sets of hallways lights.

I have changed the downstairs switch to a dimmer but I understand that I can't also change the upstairs switch to a dimmer. Is there a way to do this?

Sponsored Links
You can only have one dimmer, so one of the switches can be a dimmer, the other a normal switch. The light level is set by the dimmer, and the other normal switch will just switch the light off and on at whatever light level the dimmer is set to.

An alternative is to use a master/slave dimmer system such as this one, however this may require rewiring depending on how your existing switches are wired.

Also note that dimmers should not be fitted to stairs anyway, since dimly lit stairs are asking for people to fall down them.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought this was the case but was just wondering whether it could be done.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Also note that dimmers should not be fitted to stairs anyway, since dimly lit stairs are asking for people to fall down them.
Surely that reasoning would lead you to not having switches at all, because they could be used to put the stairs into total darkness.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back