contiued problems with hallway and landing light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and thanks for our last help. I have moved on slightly since last contact but now the downstairs hallway light works perfectly and the upstairs landing light work ok...However when the upstairs landing light is on the downstairs switch will turn the upstairs landing light on and off...BUT when the upstairs landing light id switched off upstairs the light switch will not switch on and off from the downstairs Hallway....so frustrating and doing my head in!!!

I have attached pictures of current wiring and a note below to let you know how i have identified the wiring so far in the pictures

2 gang switch downstairs
left side switch is downstairs light and wires going into com terminal are 2 reds one of which is permanent live and the other is the downstairs lounge light and the yellow in the same terminal goes upstairs..
red with the red sleeve in 2 way terminal is the wire going to downstairs hallway light

right sid switch red with black markings goes upstairs and the same as blue goes upstairs

Now to the upstairs landing light single switch
single red in com terminal comes from downstairs
2 red wires in 1 way terminal are upstairs bedroom lights plus a yellow is in the same terminal
blue and red in the 2 way terminal are blue from downstairs and the red with red sleeve is wire to upstairs landing light

CAN ANYONE THROW AN ANSWER AT THIS ONE PLEASE!!!

Sponsored Links
oh what the hell? :rolleyes:

we've already outlined EXACTLY what to do on your other post...

we'll re-itterate here for clarity...

find the cable that has the red. yellow and blue downstairs..

put the SAME COLOUR cables as upstairs, into the same holes downstairs..

View media item 11269
that picture is only valid providing that the red in the switch with the blue is from the cable with the red, yellow and blue..

Sponsored Links
ColJack said:
that picture is only valid providing that the red in the switch with the blue is from the cable with the red, yellow and blue.

I think that must be case. That's the only way I can see how it would 'work' at the moment. There is no route from live feed to the light through the upstairs switch alone. It has to go by way of the red wire to the downstairs switch and then back up through blue. The two switches are in series. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

There is indeed no earth connection to the upstairs switch plate. Furthermore, that yellow wire is linking the two live feeds. :!: :!: :!:

Pauldosmares, moving the yellow wire as ColJack shows will work but why, oh why, when you already have red wires that are permanent live, are you using the yellow one in this way? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Once you've made that change - and proved that it works - swap yellow with red, IN THE SAME CABLE, at each end. This will save you, and us, and anybody who comes later, from a load of confusion. :cool: :cool: :cool:

one smiley at a time is sufficient...

stop wasting energy by putting 3..

please also stop advising people to mess with something that's already there, that's how they get into trouble in the first place...

move the yellow, it will work, earth the upstairs switch and replace the fronts, then leave it untill the next time you want to change switches or need a re-wire..

ColJack said:
please also stop advising people to mess with something that's already there, that's how they get into trouble in the first place...

That's a valid point which I did consider but --

The best time to put something right is while you're looking at it. The switch plates are already off. Pauldosmares, you know best whether you can swap two pairs of wires without making a mistake. If you can't then take ColJack's advice and leave them alone. It's your call! :) :) :)

one smiley at a time is sufficient...

Your comment is noted. I've started a poll on this here:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=178353

Why not cast your vote - if you haven't done so already. :cool: (A single smiley just for you.)

it depends entirely on your definition of right...

red in common is the generally accepted way of doing it based on the fact that it's where the live and switched live are connected on 2 wire - 2 way wiring..

it even says so in the wiki...

see..
electrics:lighting:2waysw.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back