upstairs as downstairs hallway lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if anyone can help, upstairs as downstairs hallway lighting
Downstairs 2 way controls the passage and also upstairs landing light
Upstairs there is a single gang

The problem is you can switch the upstairs and downstairs on fine but the upstairs one won't work?
There's no marked switched live and in the lower switch downstairs I can see the link.

Would appreciate any help given I tried for hours :)
Cheers guys I appreciate the feedback [/img]

Sponsored Links
Need to know what wires are connected where and unfortunately we are not clairvoyant.
Hold on, I'll ask an expert……

No, he cannot help either.

CAREFULLY remove the switch plates and take photos of the wiring so that we can see what wires are on which terminals on the switches.

How to upload pictures onto your post is described here
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

The problem is you can switch the upstairs and downstairs on fine but the upstairs one won't work?
Has it always been like this, or has something happened recently which is associated with a change in behaviour?

If the upstairs switch does nothing, and has no effect on what the downstairs one does, then either it isn't in the circuit at all, or it's broken.

There's no marked switched live
But there's a live in, and a live out?

and in the lower switch downstairs I can see the link.
What link?

Would appreciate any help given I tried for hours
Electrical installation by trial-and-error guesswork is a very bad idea. There simply is no substitute for actually understanding what you are doing, and how the things you want to fiddle with actually work.

You need a multimeter, or a proper 2-pole voltage indicator and a continuity tester, not a neon screwdriver or magic glowing wand. And you do need to know how to use it, which means you do need to know how lighting circuits work so that you know what you are testing for where.

There really is only Plan A or Plan B:

PLAN A:
  • Learn how lighting circuits are wired.
  • Get a multimeter and learn how to use it.
  • Identify which conductors are which at the switches and the light positions.
  • Check for voltage present, circuit continuity, switches working etc.
  • Connect everything up properly.
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.
PLAN C:
  • Start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why.
There is no Plan C.

Re posting photos - please note that to get them to show up in your posts you need to do all 11 steps in the instructions linked to by TTC.

Or in a fraction of the time it takes to go through that PITA convoluted process you could use an image hosting site such as http://www.postimage.org . Or one of many others (preferably not Photobucket) - I personally like postimage because of it's screen-scrape tool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back