DIY Rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im about to start decorating a 1970s house that i moved into recently and I would like to rewire as I decorate each room. Currently all the sockets are on a single ring main and the light circuits are separated by Upstairs/downstairs rings.

My plan is to rewire each room as I go with breaks in between so it may take 6-12 months to complete the house. Then when i’ve finished have an electrician upgrade the consumer unit and check / sign the work off.

I’m just wondering if I should rewire in such a way that its easy to split the socket ring into upstairs / downstairs at the end or is this unnecessary? Also should I involve an electrician before i start the work to advice on meeting current regulations ?

Sponsored Links
You may well find it difficult to find an electrician who will entertain your idea of you doing the wiring ,over any period ,and them " sign off" the work they have not done.

You may well find it difficult to find an electrician who will entertain your idea of you doing the wiring ,over any period ,and them " sign off" the work they have not done.

I was thinking I could at least run the wire and redo chases and then have an electrician connect them up?

Sponsored Links
***Mods note*** winston’s post was removed as are the majority of their posts as it was not helpful and unnecessarily pedantic.
I think that if Winston were to make a third post but to not include the factually incorrect line about lighting circuits, I feel it may be acceptable.

Where has Winston's post gone ???

So what is going on?

I thought these forums were to help DIYers and others in what can be a dangerous occupation. The OP asked some reasonable questions. I answered pointing out his misapprehension about domestic lighting circuits, answered his question about ring finals and pointed out that an electrician cannot legally "sign off" work he did not do or design. All good helpful factually correct stuff. Yet it gets removed.

I also noticed a thread I started regarding 4mm radial circuits has been removed. Luckily not before the question I asked was answered to my satisfaction. (Thanks 333rocky333).

All good helpful factually correct stuff.

Ha ha ha ha you can’t actually be serious posting this surely

I also noticed a thread I started regarding 4mm radial circuits has been removed. Luckily not before the question I asked was answered to my satisfaction. (Thanks 333rocky333).

It hasn’t been removed. It’s right here: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/current-rating-of-bs1363-socket-terminals.554771/

Is this another example of one of your “factually correct” posts? :LOL::LOL:

Ha ha ha ha you can’t actually be serious posting this surely

It hasn’t been removed. It’s right here: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/current-rating-of-bs1363-socket-terminals.554771/

Is this another example of one of your “factually correct” posts? :LOL::LOL:

It appears to have been removed and now put back with a different title. The original answers from 333rocky333 and two others have not reappeared. Looks like censorship and then suddenly realising it was a mistake so tried to restore it.

It appears to have been removed and now put back with a different title. The original answers from 333rocky333 and two others have not reappeared. Looks like censorship and then suddenly realising it was a mistake so tried to restore it.

That is categorically not true. I have records to prove that the post in question has never been removed or hidden from view in any form. The title has never been changed. There have been no other posts made to that thread other than the ones which you can see. Don’t you dare lie or accuse us of doing something which we haven’t. You are already on very thin ice, and this behaviour does nothing to help your case.

It is permitted to DIY a re-wire, in England two ways, in Wales only one. So in both countries you can apply the the LABC and they can allow you to do rewiring which they deem you have the ability to do, and either they will check it, or they will appoint some one else to check it. In England some scheme providers can allow some members to do third party inspection and testing as well.

Both cases you do what they permit, and they do not provide you with an installation certificate, the only person who can complete the installation certificate is the person doing the design, or doing the installation, or doing the inspection and testing, you can have three signatures, but that means only you can fill it in.

The LABC if they feel you have the skill can allow you to complete the installation certificate and submit it to them, and they can test selected items to see if their results match yours.

I have done it, and they wanted to see my test equipment to show I had it and also my qualifications, in my case a degree in electrical and electronic engineering swung it, and I had to submit the installation certificate and then they issued a completion certificate on the strength of it.

The problem is getting permission to turn on a circuit, it is up to the LABC inspector as to if he permits you to re-energise the circuit without it being inspected or not, and if he inspects or if he uses a third party inspector.

So you could be allowed to do it all and then he gives it a quick look. Or he could ask for each section to be tested before it is re-energised, a little thought and you can see the problem, either you end up having to do the whole job with no power until complete, or you have to pay for some one to inspect as every bit is completed.

Typically to inspect and test people charge by the day or half day, at just £150 as day, that is £75 per inspections, so 6 rooms in a house, that's £900 plus the £100 all plus vat for the LABC, this is where it all starts getting a bit silly, mother house rewired for £2500 so to break even you need to rewire for £1500, which likely you can do, but all the hassle to save £750 is it really worth it?

So you have to find out what your LABC inspector will allow, my son did work in Liverpool and they were really helpful, Cheshire were not quite as easy to work with, but not bad, Flintshire was a real pain in the neck, so there is no universal answer, it is down to your inspector, but clearly you need to have the skill, and the test equipment before you have a chance.

So I would say you with need some paper to show skill, C&G 2391 for example. I know you don't need the paper in theory but how else are you going to show you have the skill.

I did it around 2006, I had C&G 2382 and 2391 but the inspector was not satisfied, it was the degree which swung it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back