Too many circuits?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The RCD size is interesting, my DNO fuse is 60 amp, so if I had a CU with a 60 amp RCD with over 60 worth of MCB's on in, and the incoming fuse ruptured, you are saying the DNO would not upgrade the fuse?

As to FuseBox and SPD mine did have one fitted, I could have elected not to have it, but as standard it was included, it was two module wide. The only thing I would complain about was the packets for the RCBO's were clearly marked type B, but after fitting found because of the
DB431079.png
sign actually type AC, and there was nothing on the packaging to say type AC curve B, the job had been completed before I realised the error. Did not fit the box myself, so never bothered opening a box.

But looking at averts for CU and RCBO's it seems very often it is not listed when RCBO is only type AC, and not found a single modular width RCBO in any make better than type A, which although pod point do make a version of electric car charging point suitable for type A, most need a type better than type A so there is a problem with all RCBO CU when looking at electric car charging.

Pod Point Solo Unit Installation Guide said:
As of the 1st January 2019 either a Type B RCD must be used or a Type A with 6mA DC protection included in the Pod-Point (see detail on packaging to determine what protection is required), Important note: A DC leakage fault in the vehicle may “blind” a type “AC” RCD and render it ineffective, never feed any EVSE from an existing upstream Type “AC” RCD.

Personally I feel using all RCBO's should some thing be fitted which does stop the RCD part working, then at least it is only that circuit effected.

.... The only thing I would complain about was the packets for the RCBO's were clearly marked type B, but after fitting found because of the
DB431079.png
sign actually type AC, and there was nothing on the packaging to say type AC curve B
The terminology is certainly ridiculously confusing and I really don't think that there is any excuse for this situation having been allowed to arise ...

... For decades we have been used to MCB or RCBO "Type" to refer to the operating characteristic curve (B, C or D) and, for example, BS7671 uses the term extensively in that context - so to now see "Type" being used to mean something is (as I said!) seemingly ridiculous.

As you have experienced, the 'worst of all' is "Type B", since that is effectively totally ambiguous!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back