MCB/Circuit box query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it easy to switch over a breaker something that requires an electrician (do they need to test it once in place etc)?

Can I check on my other MCBs as I'm worried they are incorrect (previous house owner had them in and think some posters have recommended that my Fuse No.2 per the list below should be 20A) - the order is

Main wylex box
Main on/off
1. 32A - cooker
2. 32A - which runs to single socket using single cable in breakfast room (used to run to part of kitchen) - I want to attach 2 external lights spurring from this socket.
3. 32A - Downstairs socket ring main (5 sockets)
4. 32A - Upstairs socket ring main (5 sockets)
5. 6A - Light downstairs ring (6 lights)
6. 6A - Lighting upstairs ring (5 l;ghts)
7. 16A - Heating

Seprate wylex box
on/off
8. 32A - kitchen ring
9. 20A - kitchen oven

Sponsored Links
Circuit 2 depends on the cable, if it is 4mm then this is fine for a 32A, if it is 2.5mm then it should be a 20A (or 16A) to run lights from this you will need to fuse down the lighting circuit!!!

Not on the main wylex board (elec board switched it from old style to this in 2002).

Is there something funny like if someone changes a MCB then they need to add RCD protection?

Sponsored Links
there are lots of situations that would require an RCD to be fitted, but simply changing the mcb is not one of these.
However, the addition of something else to the circuit you mention will probably require the RCD.

How do you intend to run the cable for the lights? (surface/buried in a wall etc?)

The 32A in question seems to be un-necessarily high for a single socket. You could use a 16A without a problem, adding a couple of lights to this wouldn't be an issue, subject to appropriate fusing down.

(an RCDFCU might be the kiddy for this job)

there are lots of situations that would require an RCD to be fitted, but simply changing the mcb is not one of these.
However, the addition of something else to the circuit you mention will probably require the RCD.

How do you intend to run the cable for the lights? (surface/buried in a wall etc?)

The 32A in question seems to be un-necessarily high for a single socket. You could use a 16A without a problem, adding a couple of lights to this wouldn't be an issue, subject to appropriate fusing down.

(an RCDFCU might be the kiddy for this job)

Well the single socket used to have more stuff on it (washing machine etc) but when I had a new kitchen fitted I had the electrician put in a proper kitchen ring and he put in the new RCD mini wylex box.

Plan is to spur from the single socket to one of these, then hole out the back to exterior and wire sits on surface to lights.

Can I change the mcb myself then - is it a simple pull out and replace or is this something an electrician should do (is any circuit testing required?)

Ta!

if you feel confident that you know what you are doing inside the CU, you could replace the MCB yourself.
From my point of view its simple, but if you've never done it before, i would advise you to get a sparky.
For what you describe, i don't think the cost will be too big

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back