How would you split these loads?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got some time off work, and decided to upgrade my old Wylex rewirable fuse board, for a Wylex dual RCD unit (on special at Screwfix)

I have spent today going around assessing and testing the circuits I have in my house, and plan to change the board tomorow

My question is I'm unsure which circuits to group together on the two RCD's (80A and 63A)

My circuits will be:

1x 32A Ring final circuit - upstairs and downstairs sockets-including kitchen (microvave, kettle, small fridge)
1x 32A Ring final circuit - laundry room (washer and T-dryer)
1x 6A lighting -upstairs
1x 6A lighting -downstairs
1x 16A radial - outdoor shed (occasional power tool use, lawnmower etc)
1x 16A radial - extension (PC, small chest freezer)
1x 40A radial (8kW shower)
1x 6A radial (gas combi-boiler)
1x 16A radial to pantry (1xfridge freezer)
Cooking on gas!

I will split the lights, naturally, but how would you split the other loads up?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you could rearrange the circuits to have separate upstairs and downstairs power rings, then have upstairs lighitng and downstairs power on RCD A and downstairs lighting and upstairs power on RCD B.

Put the shed radial on an RCBO not off one of the RCBs.

Put in a cooker circuit in case you/someone wants leccy cooking at a later date.

If you could rearrange the circuits to have separate upstairs and downstairs power rings, then have upstairs lighitng and downstairs power on RCD A and downstairs lighting and upstairs power on RCD B.

Ideally I would, I was surprised to find only one ring for all the sockets, I just havent yet worked out the routing of the RF

fair comment! though I know the integrity of this is sound, I installed it myself:cool:

Put in a cooker circuit in case you/someone wants leccy cooking at a later date.
Cooker circuit is already there (6mm), its just been extended to the pantry for the fridge/freezer on 2.5mm and will be on a 16A

I'm not used to doing domestic works, so am just a bit jumpy about having everything on (albeit 2) RCD's, what with 3 fridges and a tumble dryer! I guess these things can be a bit leaky!

I'll split it up to get ballanced loading, see how it works out

Thanks for the advice

It doesn't need to have a balanced loading, it just needs to cause the minimum amount of inconvenience should a fault occur. Just use your common sense and it will be fine.

Sponsored Links
How's this?

63A RCD
1x 32A Ring final circuit - upstairs and downstairs sockets-including kitchen (microvave, kettle, small fridge)
1x 16A radial - outdoor shed (occasional power tool use, lawnmower etc)
1x 16A radial to pantry (1xfridge freezer)
1x 6A radial (gas combi-boiler)
1x 6A lighting -upstairs

80A RCD
1x 40A radial (8kW shower)
1x 16A radial - extension (PC, small chest freezer)
1x 32A Ring final circuit - laundry room (washer and T-dryer)
1x 6A lighting -downstairs

Is that the wylex on offer just now which is set-up as a 'high integrity' board? If so you may want to consider RCBO's for boiler/freezers/lights/outdoors . . .

just waiting for BAS to tell me where I have/will be going wrong...?

Power goes off at about 11am, no PC access for about an hour :eek:

can't believe the part 'P' Police havent jumped on me yet! (cheque is in the post, honest!)

:cool:

Thanks Skenk!
No worries, I expect someone will be along soon with a different view!

just waiting for BAS to tell me where I have/will be going wrong...?
Are you a dentist or what?

had a look at a few of your old posts and you seem to know your limits and approach things in the right way. You do mention testing though and I do hope it will be fully tested and EIC completed? Looking at that CU and your comments about the large ring you should confirm that it is a complete ring and not interconnected etc. How are you going to isolate?

Power goes off at about 11am, no PC access for about an hour :eek:
I suspect you'll need more than an hour with the power off to do a good job safely.

can't believe the part 'P' Police havent jumped on me yet! (cheque is in the post, honest!)

:cool:
No part-p up here so what do I know about it? :evil:

anything is gonna be better than this........

You going to give us pictures of the finished job aswell!?

Are you a dentist or what?

No, I'm just prone to putting dints in the works van!

You do mention testing though and I do hope it will be fully tested and EIC completed? Looking at that CU and your comments about the large ring you should confirm that it is a complete ring and not interconnected etc.
Yes it's been fully tested, the ring is good, found 4x spurs from it

How are you going to isolate?
There is a switch on the meter, i wouldn't have been brave enough if I had to have pulled the fuse! I have heard the horror stories

I suspect you'll need more than an hour with the power off to do a good job safely.
You weren't wrong! I was getting worried about my beers getting warm in the fridge, hats off to you chaps who do this domestic stuff day in day out, bleddy cramped conditions, no room in the CU to get your hands in! give me a 3-phase DB anyday!

You going to give us pictures of the finished job aswell!?

Will take some tomorrow, still a few bits of work to do

Ideally I would, I was surprised to find only one ring for all the sockets, I just havent yet worked out the routing of the RF

fair comment! though I know the integrity of this is sound, I installed it myself:cool:

Cooker circuit is already there (6mm), its just been extended to the pantry for the fridge/freezer on 2.5mm and will be on a 16A

I'm not used to doing domestic works, so am just a bit jumpy about having everything on (albeit 2) RCD's, what with 3 fridges and a tumble dryer! I guess these things can be a bit leaky!

I'll split it up to get ballanced loading, see how it works out

Thanks for the advice

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back