Split Load DB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!
When replacing a CU and insall a split load RCD protected board the circuits are divided into 2 groups to minimize disruption in the event of a fault on a circuit, but is this a must???
I as because I have a CU to replace next week but it only has 1x 32A for Ring Main, 2x 5A for lighting and a 15A for Emersion Heater.
Even if there are such few circuits would a Twin Rcd Split board need to be installed??
Any advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Trouble is RCBOS are around £25 each!!! I bought a WYLEX 12 Way twin RCD split load DB for £69 with breakers!! Good deal I thought! I didnt no if the division of circuits was a must or not or is it just more convienient for the customer??

Split load or high integrity board?
Split load are what we generally call the old 16th edn boards with one RCD and the other side fed from the main switch.

Sponsored Links
I'd get a 8 way CU, stick a 100A isolator in and 4 x RCBOs. Then blank off the spare ways.

It's got to be the best board you could fit for them...

Or you could get a 4 + 4 twin RCD board and put the lights on 1 RCD and the sockets & immersion on the other....

I was thinking of getting a 4+4 2 split the circuits why cant I just install all circuits on the one main RCD??? Is there a regulation stopping me from doing this??

Havent got the regs book on me at the min but will take a look tomorow! I would split the circuits anyway but just wondered!
Thanks anyway!

There is a reg for this, can't remember it off hand though :oops:

Basically if you have a fault on one circuit, then your circuits should be split so that the fault does not adversley affect any other circuit...

Situation.... (main switch RCD)
2 storey house, missus upstairs carrying your baby downstairs when you plug in a faulty appliance (oh!! and your 5 year old has left toys all down the stairs) RCD trips and plunges you house into darkness. Now I would hope that your missus just sits still until you reset the RCD, but what if you're not there to help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why cant I just install all circuits on the one main RCD??? Is there a regulation stopping me from doing this??

There is the regulation per the post above, but there is also common sense.
Consider:

Your customer is 79 years old and frail. The time is 9.30 p.m.
It is December, it's dark and the weather is cold. He comes from the bathroom on the first floor, just on top of the stairs. The thermostat of the central heating comes on, a neutral to earth fault on the pump trips the residual current device on the distribution board that has been fitted as the incomer and all supply is lost in the home.
No lights.
What happens next....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back