electric supply to workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
howdy, I am running 22m. 4.0mm armoured cable underground to a workshop. This terminates at a 2 way cu protected by 40 amp 30 ma rcd with 1x 16 amp mcb and 1x 6amp mcb. I intend to install 5 double outlet sockets on a radial circuit and of course lights. My question is this: would the u/ground cable be adequately protected if was connected to a 32 amp mcb on the non rcd side of the house split load cu. The incomers on the house cu are an 80 amp dp switch and 100 amp 30ma rcd.

Sponsored Links
As long as the cable is terminated properly to maintain the earth and it is buried deep enough out of harms way it should be fine. One thing i would say is that if you intend to install 5 double sockets and you are connecting quite a lot of electrical equipment i would think about installing a 6mm SWA cable and wiring the sockets in a ring with a 32amp breaker. Just in case needs must!!

you have of course notified your local authority building controll that you are doing electrics outside as per part P of the building regulations?????

if not then tell them before starting work so they can get someone round to see you are doing it right, or get a registered sparky in to do it.. ( probably cheaper in the long run... )

you only need to notify / use the sparky for the supply cable as electrics inside the shed isn't covered by part P..
:rolleyes:

As long as the cable is terminated properly to maintain the earth and it is buried deep enough out of harms way it should be fine. One thing i would say is that if you intend to install 5 double sockets and you are connecting quite a lot of electrical equipment i would think about installing a 6mm SWA cable and wiring the sockets in a ring with a 32amp breaker. Just in case needs must!!
thanks for your reply. number of sockets are for convenience. Electrics will be checked by spark. How did you know I was about to contact building control!

Sponsored Links
If its a radial circuit the max is a 20amp mcb and its got to be a 32amp mcb if its a ring circuit!

you only need to notify / use the sparky for the supply cable as electrics inside the shed isn't covered by part P..
:rolleyes:

Oh yes they are!! All LV / ELV installation work in domestic dwellings comes under part P. This includes buildings which recieve their electricity supply from inside a dwelling or shared with a dwelling. See page 5 of the Guidance to approved document P. Wether or not the activity is notifiable is another matter. Adding a new circuit is notifiable.

not at all andy2k7...

you can put rings on smaller breakers

likewise a radial can be on any size breaker as long as the cable is sized for the breaker.. ( ie 4mm 32A radial is ok.. ( ref method 1: clipped direct )

I was actually refering to page 8 of the guide..

"additional notes: section f:- Detatched garages and sheds are not special locations. Work within them is notifiable only if it involves new outdoor wiring "

that's tha part that stuck in my head from reading it the other day.. forgot that new circuits is notifiable.. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back