Configuration on a split load unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

quick question for peace of mind.

Bearing in mind the following MCB's how would you split them in a split load CU. Which ones on the RCD side.

45 AMP - Shower
32 AMP - 6Kw Hob
32 AMP - Kitchen Ring (freezer, oven, sockets)
32 AMP - Upstairs Ring
32 AMP - Downstairs ring
16 AMP - Water Heater
6 AMP - Upstairs lighting
6 AMP - Downstairs Lighting

I will put the shower on the RCD side, not sure about the rest.

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
Are you a trained electrician?

If not, then why are you fiddling around with MCBs in a CU?

If you are, then why don't you already know the answers that you seek? I'm a plumber and even I know.

Shower - Very good practice to have it on RCD
Hob - None RCD... they can get 'leaky' when old and nuisence trip
Kitchen Ring -RCD... you might use an extension lead through the back door (regs) and kitchen is one place with water and portable appliances (good practice)
Upstairs ring - 50/50 I'd RCD it, someone might drag an extension lead into the bathroom
Downstairs ring... RCD, you might use an extension lead out the door
Water Heater - Non RCD, same reasons as hob
Both lighting, Non RCD (don't want to be plunged into darkness)

Would advise separate non rcd for freezer if possible, also must ditto softus

hi

Thanks for the reply Adam_151. :)

I thought this was a forum for DIY not just the pros, as softus may think!

I guess you were born with all the knowledge softus! Only asking your advice, so that i can understand it better.

I wouldn't do any job until i had an understanding of what i was doing, no matter how simple!

cheers :)

Sponsored Links
The point that Softus is making is that replacing a consumer unit is not a job for anybody who is not fully conversant with the theory and regulations behind such a job. It is potentially more dangerous than almost any other modification you might carry out in a domestic installation. Nobody competent to do this job should have to ask the question you asked.

Are you able to fully test your installation and certify the job? Are you also aware that this work must be notified to the local authority building control office and that a fee is payable?

my humble view of the situation is this

1) use a RCD for all the power points circuit be it ring or in a shower or kitchen

2) use another RCD for your lighting circuits both downstairs and upstairs.

in all only two RCDs are used.

geeli said:
2) use another RCD for your lighting circuits both downstairs and upstairs.

Unless its a TT system, why RCD the lights?

Hi,

Thanks for everyones replies. I appreciate the regulation comments/advice from everyone.

My only complaint was that only critisism was recieved by softus (not wanting to be nasty). An explanation of what i wanted along with word of warning is better served in my opinion.

I feel frustrated as I want to learn more about electrics and not young enough for apprenticeship. I feel my only way to learn is study, asking the pros and experience (i realise danger).

You can get the violins out now if you wish :(

cheers guys :)

Adam_151 said:
Hob - None RCD... they can get 'leaky' when old and nuisence trip

BUT if the hob switch has a socket that could be reasonable expected to have something outdoors plugged in (via extension etc) then it should be RCD protected

nice1chris said:

it is for DIY, BUT changing a CU is something not recommended for DIYers, unless experianced and have a good knowledge of regs and are able to test the installation

nice1chris said:

I guess you were born with all the knowledge softus! Only asking your advice, so that i can understand it better.
Looking at the posts you've made, it would appear that you're embarking on fairly major work, possibly even a complete rewire.

There is no intrinsic reason why that cannot be a DIY task, but the problem is that you don't know what you don't know. In other words, there may be some important knowledge that you need, but you have absolutely no idea that it exists, and absolutely no idea that you don't posess it, and so absolutely no chance that you'll ask about it.

Only asking about things of which you have an awareness, and where you recognise a hole in your knowledge is not guaranteed to teach you what you need to know.

nice1chris said:
You have no idea what I think on this topic, because all I've done is ask you some questions, and pretty clear and direct ones they were too. Certainly there was a point behind the questions, but your conclusion (that my objective was to criticise) smacks of paranoia.

nice1chris said:
I guess you were born with all the knowledge softus!
Oh, I doubt that you really are making that guess. It's far more likely that you've taken umbrage at my questions and that your 'guess' is just some sub-standard sarcasm.

nice1chris said:
Only asking your advice, so that i can understand it better.
Hm, I find that claim rather disingenuous. If you read your own posting and pretend that it was someone else, you might see what I did, namely the casual manner of the question appearing to be a transparent attempt to make the whole subject seem informal and your question straightforward. If you were intent on being open and honest, then you would have stated the reason for asking instead of making the whole matter seem to be one of hypothesis. All IMHO of course.

nice1chris said:
I wouldn't do any job until i had an understanding of what i was doing, no matter how simple!
Really? So what have you actually done and/or not done to the electrical system(s) in your property? And, before you answer, please read and digest the superbly pragmatic postings from dingbat and ban-all-sheds.

On a lighter note:I have an opinion that regulations are like speed cameras.
They are brought in to fill the coffers of organisations and not always proved to save lives.Government statistics say differently but can you believe them.
We need tradesman,that is without question.But then-what about tradesmen who are rogue traders.Don't worry tho' Trading Standards will get them(sometimes).I am a fully qualified Motor Engineer with 36 yrs in the trade(now semi-retired due to a heart attack-no not caused by electric shock-just age and knackered)and I like Corgi and NICEIC etc am sometimes gobsmacked at the standard of DIY.(Vehicles can kill numbers as well as individuals).The point is that there are plenty of genuine DIY'ers out there who fully respect what they are doing and work to a high standard(often calling on professional help for advice and testing etc).Many pro's only too pleased to help and encourage.If I have a domestic emergency at home and a plumber/sparky can't attend for 3weeks etc. then yes I will do it myself within the confines of the safety of my family and myself.Part P from the ODPM seems to indicate that any electrical work carried out before 1st January 2005 is unsafe and should be checked immediately(your Council can do it for around £150).The list is endless.Have you got "K" glass/room thermostat/TCv's on your rads etc
etc.etc.etc.The consensus seems to be:introduce new regs. and you in effect swell the coffers of your local council/government etc.Apparently the latest council position locally is Portfolio Holder for Tall Hedges and Trees. I MAY BE WRONG BUT IT IS MY OPINION THAT WE JUST HAVE
TOO MANY BEST SUITS MAKING DECISIONS THAT DONT MAKE OUR LIFE SAFER OR BETTER.Finally- how many on your street have been killed in the last 12mths via DIY electrics/plumbing/repairs on car brakes etc.I would think more chance of getting mugged or overdosing on drugs etc.

And ladders - let's not forget them - in 1999, about 28,000 people were killed or injured falling from ladders and steps in the home...

nice1chris something to bear in mind .... are the equipotential bonding , supply tail and main earthing conductor sizing upto current regs, then theres the supplimentary bonding in the bathroom (is it there). Indeed is the new split cu the right set up for the supply system (if it's TT then no it's not).
All the above need to be taken into account as it sounds like your changing the cu.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back