Consumer Unit Overview, comments required.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Ive just been looking at a CU setup for a friend at his soon to be new house.

Heres the current set-up

CU :

100 Braker switch

32 Amp MCB Ring main (Whole house)
32 Amp MCB Cooker
32 Amp MCB Shower (6mm cable running a 8.5kw shower)
32 Amp MCB (spare)

6 Amp MCB Lights
6 Amp MCB Lights
6 Amp MCB (Spare)

It looks pretty simple, but would like some thaughts on it... Does it sound ok? Is the shower ok on just a 32Amp MCB?

Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
You mean there is no RCD for the sockets or the shower? What make of CU is it?

The shower is a heavier load than the MCB and cable were designed for. Is it a replacement of a less powerful shower?

Rather than having spare MCBs fitted that do nothing, it is preferable to have blanking pieces fitted.

One ring main for the whole house is unusually mean these days.

Why do you want to know?

Hi Doesnt seem to be any RCD for sockets or shower. i dont know the make of the CU, it only looked a small one, Single load (single buzzbar) i think you guys would call it....

I want to know because im interested, and it seems a little strange to just have a shower into a 32 Amp MCB and all the ring mains on one 32 Amp MCB...

The two spare MCB`s were labled up as loft, but had nothing connected to them... I guess they were put in place to allow future connections to add sockets and lighting up there in the future.

MasterAbacus, most houses in this country have 32A shower ciruits, what do you mean all the ring mains, i thought there was only one. have you open up the consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
no way they plug anything on to them, i protest that they should up the cable," been running for years son"

MasterAbacus said:
Hi all,

Ive just been looking at a CU setup for a friend at his soon to be new house.

I would suggest that your friend calls in a professional to have a look. What do you know that your friend doesnt?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back